Vintage trail ride pictures

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Redbeardindustries

Vintage trail ride pictures

Post by Redbeardindustries »

A few months back I had posted about transmission issues with my 250, well I've got them pretty well sorted out now and the bike has been doing really well.

A couple weekends ago my buddy and I took off into northern Michigan and hit up a single track trail with the matchless and his 75 bultaco frontera. It was one of the best rides I've been on, the matchless handled everything a threw at it. Other than the clutch needing some more spring tension and the rear tire hitting the splash guard I was very pleased with the bike. She was an absolute chore and a total joy to ride at the same time. I was pretty nervous setting out that I was going to be pushing the bike back to the truck, thankfully I was sore from riding and not hiking by the end of the day.

Now that the snow is on the ground I have time to address some of the quirks and weak spots I found on the trail. Its gonna be a long winter, I cant wait to try this again.

https://i.imgur.com/0Ikh85j.gifv

clanger9

Re: Vintage trail ride pictures

Post by clanger9 »

Brilliant photos! Thanks for sharing.
It's so great to see these bikes being used "as intended" :D :beer:
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Redbeardindustries

Thank you! It was really fun getting the old bikes out and about, we definitely turned a few heads on the trail.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Great stuff! Both bikes look great but I prefer the Frontera, sorry :D I've got a '74 Alpina 350...
Redbeardindustries

ajsm18 wrote:Great stuff! Both bikes look great but I prefer the Frontera, sorry :D I've got a '74 Alpina 350...
The Frontera was great to ride, I'd love to find a Sherpa for myself.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Redbeardindustries wrote:The Frontera was great to ride, I'd love to find a Sherpa for myself.
I don't know about the states but there are plenty of Sherpas available here!
Redbeardindustries

ajsm18 wrote:
Redbeardindustries wrote:The Frontera was great to ride, I'd love to find a Sherpa for myself.
I don't know about the states but there are plenty of Sherpas available here!

They are around, my uncle has a 75 350 sherpa I've done some work on. I actually learned how to ride with a clutch on the very same bike many years ago. Theres a good chance I'll end up owning it myself one day. Till then I just need to convince the old fart hes not too old to ride some vintage trials events with me.
MightyMax

Post by MightyMax »

First time I have ever seen a lightweight wheelie!, looks like you had enormous fun, brings back memories for me. Thanks chaps.