Spark then no spark

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
OldChuffer

Spark then no spark

Post by OldChuffer »

During the lockdown i've been recreating the loom on my Model 14. When i got the bike (very much a project) the wiring was in an awful state, totally bodged. Anyway after stripping it all out and making a new loom from scratch i got to the point to try it today. Kicked the bike over and the plug sparked twice.. and then nothing. All seems ok, fuse intact, points ok. My first action will to get new points and condenser, but before i do i thought i'd see if anyone had any ideas.
MalcW

Re: Spark then no spark

Post by MalcW »

Try the easiest things first. Try a different plug,and maybe a different plug cap. Is the HT cable seated in the coils securely? LT coil connections OK?

Malc
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

First thing I'd do would be to confirm the points are still opening, then with them closed and ignition on try opening them manually with a fingernail, does the plug spark?

No - do you have power to the points?

Does the plug spark once as you turn off the ignition with the points closed?

Regards Mick
OldChuffer

Post by OldChuffer »

SOLVED: I tried the things suggested to no avail. And then when i put my finger in to open the points i noticed one strand of wire from where the coil connects to the points which was shorting against the case. Snipped it off and then the spark returned. Result! Many thanks both.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

Good result; well spotted!

Malc