Chaincase Gaskets

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
BeenyBoy

Chaincase Gaskets

Post by BeenyBoy »

1965 G2csr

Hi

I'm told that there isn't a gasket between the outer and inner drive side case..is this right ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve S

Re: Chaincase Gaskets

Post by Steve S »

I'm currently reassembling my Model 8 at the moment and have noticed this as well. There is a 3 hole gasket however that is between the crank shaft and the inner case (on the right in your first photo) which is part of the gasket set available form the club. I will use this and just a smear of Wellseal on the other faces as there is no need for a gasket here as there is no oil in this chamber. The main chaincase gasket goes between the inner and outer covers and that is quite tricky to get aligned correctly...

Steve S.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi

I'm told that there isn't a gasket between the outer and inner drive side case..is this right ?

If I have read this correctly this is my answer, if it's wrong ignore it, (am having a bad day)

There is a gasket, the number is 042180, to align the gasket make four 1/4 BSC studs (thread one end) long enough to protrude past the outer cover, coat the inner face with wellseal and fit the four studs, fit the gasket and slide the outer cover over the studs, don't forget the alternator wires, once the cover is home remove stud at a time and fit the bolts tighten as required.

It works for me.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

There is a gasket (042180), but it rarely fits or seals properly. Just use Wellseal.
IMG_2400.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
OldChuffer

Post by OldChuffer »

I agree with clanger9 (who advised me on this same question a while back) - just use Wellseal, i can vouch that applied correctly it works fine.