1958/9 Matchless G2 front forks

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Morbec1

1958/9 Matchless G2 front forks

Post by Morbec1 »

Hi I am at very serious point in the rebuild of my 1958/9 G2 matchless to date I have had issues with finding the correct size spacers for the under engine channel now I am at the stage of fitting the early type front forks to the frame I believe I have the correct size spacer it matches the main pin narrow diameter for length I am finding it virtually impossible to fit the forks to the head stock I have lost numerous ball bearings has anyone had experience of fitting these forks and if so PLEASE can you share your experience.
I am seriously considering sourcing a set of the later forks which I have been told will fit but if I did go down that road would I have to change the front wheel and front mudguard. I always try and keep my bikes as original as possible so don't really want to do that conversion. I have never had any problems working on any of my H/W AJSs and Matchless but this L/W G2 is doing my head in.

Phil
Mick D

Re: 1958/9 Matchless G2 front forks

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Without wishing to teach you to suck eggs but:

Are you holding the bearings in place with grease?

Are you fitting the yokes before fitting the fork legs to them?

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

And just another tip from grannie as I'm here.......

The correct number of balls is as many as will fit the race MINUS one ball.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dada

Post by dada »

I passed from it with my father both together did it but balls fall couple of times then re done :)
Morbec1

Post by Morbec1 »

Hi all

Packed the cups with grease to hold the ball bearings in the first attempt the bottom cup moved ball bearings everywhere had the forks complete second attempted stripped forks to make them easier to manipulate, stem bolt hit top cup ball bearings everywhere many attempts later running out of ball bearings, Had a thought put it together with out the bearings just for a photo of the complete bike to get a dating letter (not for riding) failed to do the job still could not get the main bolt through the bottom cup through the head stock and through the top cup and spacer.
But it looks like someone has done it so tomorrow is another day if anyone else as done the job and have a tip of doing the job please let me know

Phil
Morbec1

Post by Morbec1 »

Hi, unlike the H/W models the top and bottom yokes are fixed so very little room to play with.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Fortunately then, I did not have to do this on my lightweight. But it is awkward with a H/W.

I think that a second pair of hands and the practice you mentioned about doing it with no ball bearings in place would be useful.

Johnny B