Standard or Teledraulic

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Dan1612

Standard or Teledraulic

Post by Dan1612 »

Hi All

Just starting a restoration of a 1962 250 LW which according to the sales literature on the archive looks very much like a Sapphire.

Can I assume that mine has "standard" forks - they are painted black top to bottom i.e. they do not have the polished alloy lowers?

They are going to need dismantling & painting etc. any gotchas? Are spares for the insides easy to come by? Should I look to swap them out for the teledrualics?

All advice gratefully received - I'm sure this isn't going to be the only question I have along the way :)
cbranni

Re: Standard or Teledraulic

Post by cbranni »

Hi Dan

It seems nobody wants to give advice very unlike the lightweight people, you do have the basic fork design and it's not a very good design either, I did rebuild a set a few years back from what I remember the brass bushes are brazed on and best left alone, the seals are available I believe, I would stick to what the manual says but take plenty of photos as you strip them down.

Kind regards Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Dan1612

Re: Standard or Teledraulic

Post by Dan1612 »

Thanks Colin

they do look a bit agricultural but also looking at the exploded view of 250LW forks - simple?

There doesn't seem to be many parts to them (famous last words).

Long weekend coming up so will be tripping the entire bike except for the engine as that is sweet - result!!!!