Oil Leak

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
OldChuffer

Re: Oil Leak

Post by OldChuffer »

In despair now! Rebuilt the gearbox and now no oil leaks :D Gearbox back in the frame but i can only select the 2 gears either side of neutral, nothing else. Obviously somethings not right so the box will have to come out again!
For now i'm going to turn my attention to the engine, its not been run before in my ownership but theres a good decent spark so hopefully it will be ok. If its ok then i'll be more enthusiatic to tackle the gearbox again.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Sounds like the 3rd/4th selector fork isn't engaged properly. It'll have to come to bits again... :(
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
OldChuffer

Post by OldChuffer »

Ok i can select first and second and then no more - could it be i have the quadrant in the wrong place and its running out of travel?

On a good note the engine runs fine.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Maybe but without seeing pictures it'll be difficult. Better to post what you have and how it's set up. I've just stripped and rebuilt one last week without issues and it's fresh in my mind.
OldChuffer

Post by OldChuffer »

At last some good news on the gearbox front, took it out again, removed and replaced the outer cover and as if by magic i can now select all the gears. I guess something was not quite right when i put it on the first time.
Anyway its sat on the bench now with 3 pints of oil in, just to ensure its oil tight. Thanks again for everyones input.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Thanks for the update! Glad you got it working again.

If re-fitting the outer cover was all it needed, then the selector spring & pawl maybe hadn't gone together properly. It's certainly tricky to get the outer cover on while keeping everything in place.

For reference, it's supposed to look like this:
IMG_1305.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS