AJS 250 GREENLANER again!!

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

I have, via the club, photocopies of various bits of information relating to G2/14`s.On one of the sheets there is a picture of a factory scrambler with what looks like the same size wheels front and rear. Sorry to seem thick but I always thought that the front wheel was larger than the rear? Does anyone know the sizes? Also where can I purchase a seat, it looks like a full, double one but shallower,( in white?).I`m not sure which issue of jampot it is, but it is one of the older, smaller copies ( before my time!).Would it weaken the frame if I were carefully grind away unrequired brackets, eg. horn, side panels etc? Finally, what size fork gaiters do I need if I bin the metal covers? Cheers, basketcase.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Bacon "Restoration" book states that the light singles CS tyre sizes 1959-62 are: Front 3.00x19, Rear 3.50x19, there is a picture on page 138 (1959) and 75 (1961).

To confirm it may be worth visiting the AJS & Matchless Archives and seeing if a parts book contains the wheel sizes: http://217.157.196.176:8181/ajs/Book/Spares_lists/

Duncan
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Many moons ago the Newbury section aided and abeted by our Jampot Editor and President put together a 350 lightweight scrambler,try contacting them to see what wheel size they used. Contact info is on the inside of the front cover of the Jampot magazine
chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Nigel,

The wheeels on the 14 CS and G2CS, 1959 to 1962 were 3.0 by 19 in the front and 3.50 by 19 on the back. The larger bikes, 500 cc Scramblers CS had the larger front wheel 3.0 by 21 with the back at 4.0 by 18 and later 19. The Model 14 CS and G2CS according to the book I am reading had stronger front forks. There were modifications made to the rear sub frame in order that the larger 19 inch wheels with offset hubs could be fitted. The shock absorbers at the rear were extra long. The seat was a dual seat described as shorter and thinner with the colour a tan colour same as on the other AMC sports bikes at that time.Later this model changed to a black colour. In Birmingham there are two seat suppliers . Can"t remember names..think one is Leighton.Look in Old Bike Mart.No idea if cutting bits off the frame weakens it or not. Finally did this model actually have fork gaiters. Page 138 in "Bacon" shows 1959 G2CS picture from a Show. I can"t see gaiters. Shows the seat really well........ Just imagine , in 6o years time..discussion on the Club site , trying to work out the history of your model, after changes! Keep them busy ! Best wishes, Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

Letter is winging its way to the Newbury lot this very moment, thanks. Any ideas about the seat or frame...anyone...please!!yours desperately, basketcase.
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

basketcase

Post by basketcase »

oops! Thats the problem with being computer illiterate. Thanks all, the last one came in just as I was posting the first (correct) one.I can`t help myself when I pick up a grinder, (you should have seen one of my minis!)What would Lawrence and Itma have to take the michael out of if we didn`t do these things! Cheers, basketcase.
John T

Post by John T »

Just about finished the restoration of my 1960 model 14
Bought a seat from Leighton but they sent the wrong one,it was for a 350.They could not help with the 250 so I had to return it at my cost.
Tried Armour who had just got a new supply in .It was 107 instead of 120 from Leighton.
See picture recently put on Jampot. http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=419

Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Nice job JohnT, but why is the picture so large, it would be nice to see it all in one go.

John T

Post by John T »

Picture size could be smaller but the club state the maximum kb size and only accept it within that size, so perhaps they should state a smaller size.