Returning newbie / Wheel / brake questions

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin_G2

Returning newbie / Wheel / brake questions

Post by Martin_G2 »

Hi all,

I've had my G2 for 11 years but it's spent the last 7 of those in storage after some running issues. I retrieved it from storage the other day and have some questions because like an idiot I took some parts off it years ago thinking I'd sort it within a few weeks. So years later, and I've forgotten where some bits go (or have mislaid them maybe)

First issue is the front wheel. I seem to have a large gap in between the forks (see photo). Looking at the manual, some G2 had a spacer here ? I have found these bits (see other photo - do they look like the missing bit ?)

And is my spindle in the fork enough, seems to be recessed a bit ? I do have the other nut

Secondly, I removed the rear foot rest and brake pedal. I have these, and the bush that fits inside the pedal. But I seem to be missing something because the assembly bolted up is too close to the timing cover. Could I be missing a spacer here too ? I don't have a return spring, and don't think I ever did ? The manual doesn't seem to show this - Does anyone have a photo of the assembly ? Are these spacers part of that assembly ?

Thank you for your help in advance, I hope to get bike running again after rewire and possibly convert to 12v

Kind regards

Martin.
Martin.S

Re: Returning newbie / Wheel / brake questions

Post by Martin.S »

Sorry don't know about the forks but here's a picture of the brake pedal
Brake Pedal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin_G2

Post by Martin_G2 »

Thank you Martin, I seem to be missing the spring !
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Don't know if this is the G2 or G5 as they had different shafts but there is also the brake pedal stop - described as a tennis racket with a bent handle or a thick washer with a bent tab on it :-
cbranni's Brake pedal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.