G2CSR (Anything but) Lightweight Clutch Solution

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Transfergear

G2CSR (Anything but) Lightweight Clutch Solution

Post by Transfergear »

I was reading old posts on stiff clutch lever action on lightweights and that's what I've got on my G2CSR that is in the final stages of snagging before the road test day.

Checked out lever binding, clutch spring adjustment, blah blah. Anyhow whipped out the operating rod and rolled it along the new granite worksurface in the kitchen to discover the rod was a little bit bent. Anyhow happened to have some stainless steel rods and cut a new slightly slimmer one and hey presto, a nice light clutch lever operation. :beer:
cbranni

Re: G2CSR (Anything but) Lightweight Clutch Solution

Post by cbranni »

Don't want to throw a dampener on your good work but the clutch rod should have hardened ends to avoid wear, you could buy a new rod or buy a 13" length of Stubbs silver steel of suitable diameter, cut to length and harden the ends. To harden the ends heat to cherry red for inch or so then quench in oil vertically on both ends, no real need to temper them back but you could if desired, re heat to dark straw colour (other colours are available) and quench.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Transfergear

Re: G2CSR (Anything but) Lightweight Clutch Solution

Post by Transfergear »

Thanks Colin - yep I've done that - it was apparent from the last rod it also had wear on each end as the ends on the old rod were none too clever as well as the nice bend! Have to say I prefer forums rather than Facebook groups, that way all our combined knowledge is lying in wait to help others...including me :). BTW saw your list of bikes...very nice...I've got a similar number in various states of undress :lol: