AJS Model 14 Rear Wheel Spoke breakages.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
bruv

AJS Model 14 Rear Wheel Spoke breakages.

Post by bruv »

Hi Everybody,
I have a 1961 AJS Model 14 250cc that's progressively breaking all of the spokes in the rear wheel !! Over the last 5 years it's managed to break 12 of the 36 spokes that lace up the wheel.
I see from the workshop manual that this problem was known about years ago and the factory recommend re-lacing the wheel to a different spoke pattern. There are photo's of the old and the new lacing patterns on page 72 of the manual.
Unfortunately, the photos in my (reproduction) manual are so bad that I can't determine the difference between the old and the new lacing patterns. If anybody can help with providing better pictures, or other information about the new lacing set-up I would be most grateful to hear about it.
Many thanks, Safe riding, Bruv.
McBob

Re: AJS Model 14 Rear Wheel Spoke breakages.

Post by McBob »

Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

There is a letter covering this in Real Classic August 2020. Writer is Alan Freke. Unfortunately his pictures are no better and he doesn't give any verbal description of the difference. But it's recent enough that you might be able to contact him through the mag and get copies of any photos he used to copy the design, he copied a bike that had no history of spoke breakage.
Stan
bruv

Post by bruv »

Hi everybody. A special thanks to Stan and McBob for their help with the problem. I'm still looking for more information on the subject of breaking spokes in the rear wheel. I've manages to find out that the lacing pattern is different ONLY for the inner spokes of the wheel. I'll keep digging !! Thanks once again for your replies. Safe riding to all, Bruv.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Can you post a photo of your lacing pattern? It should be fairly easy to work out the alternate pattern - I think there will only be two lacing options.

Identifying the best may be more problematic.

Regards Mick