Oil Filter O ring

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Oil Filter O ring

Post by Martin.S »

I've been searching but can't find the dimensions for the oil filter sealing ring 042846 as the club doesn't stock it- does anyone know?
Cheers
Martin.S

Re: Oil Filter O ring

Post by Martin.S »

Nobody?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Nope because they are that rare I suspect not many have ever seen one. However you can measure the tunnel and the filter length and come to calculated guess. It wasn't an o-ring by the way it is a rubber washer.

I know where there is one but I doubt Shifter will want to strip the Model 8 just to measure it.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Ok, if anybody has one can they measure it so the club can have some made.
Or if any one has seen one(Shifter!) how about taking a guess to what the dimensions could be so we can get an idea of what it should look like. :)
Cheers
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Measuring up - the filter is some 1/4" shorter than the tunnel - are you all running around with the oil by passing the filter due to this missing seal?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Other than Shifter I suspect the answer is yes! If you can find a suitable flat washer or even a fat O ring that will work we could list it as Pt No 042846 Ring sealing oil filter.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I'm still looking for NOS but failing that it wouldn't be too difficult to make some if only their thickness was known.
Something like Neoprene could be used - it can be sourced in solid sheets and in a foam form.
A hole cutter could be used to cut the O/D and a Dremmel could trim the I/D - The O/D being a tad under the tunnel diameter and the inner big enough that when compressed doesn't obscure the pump port - its just the thickness dimension we need to know. For the mesh filters I suppose the thickness wouldn't matter so much as the spring will compensate
I'm thinking that the Neoprene sticky backed foam might be good as it would compress quite easily - what are your thoughts?

P.S - just came across this - https://www.rhnuttall.co.uk/washers/neo ... e-washers/
Last edited by Martin.S on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Hello Martin, sorry I have more important things going on at the moment but as soon as I get a little time I will take the oil filter out and take some measurement's.
Its not that long ago I did its regular oil change and filter clean what a bugger lol

shifter
?