G2 CSR horn - problem and questions

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
WiltshireMike

G2 CSR horn - problem and questions

Post by WiltshireMike »

I've just started to re-commission my 1966 G2CSR and have sadly managed to cook the actuating coil in the Lucas HF1441 horn. So, two questions:

1/ The Parts Manual lists an HF1849 (domed rear cover) horn for my bike and I'm wondering whether a previous owner has fitted the HF1441 (flat plate tone disc with brass nut) or whether it was on the bike as built. The bike appears to be pretty much standard in most respects, so can anyone with a late G2CSR / 14CSR please let me know which horn theirs has? I'd like to keep it as original as possible, so I need either to source an 1849, or repair the 1441.

2/ To disassemble the horn for repair I need to remove the diaphragm securing nut but this requires a combination of 1" flat hex spanner plus a stout 3-4mm blade tool to retain the armature sleeve as according to an old Lucas instruction guide (courtesy of the web) the nut is torqued to almost 40 ft-lbs. Has anyone done this themselves - any tips??

Many thanks in advance ...
Andy51

Re: G2 CSR horn - problem and questions

Post by Andy51 »

I have tried to repair a Lucas horn in the past without success, and I know they are expensive to have done professionally. Although I am not familiar with your particular model, you can get modern horns that fit inside the Lucas case for around a tenner - they sound a bit cheap and tinny but then once the bike is running the engine noise is louder than the horn anyway! Hope this helps, Andy
WiltshireMike

Post by WiltshireMike »

Thanks Andy, I've given up on opening the horn as I'll only end up damaging it. Question 1/ is still open if anyone can help ...?
KRM

Post by KRM »

Hi,
I've recently had the same issue. Whilst the parts list states a Lucas HF 1849 I was told that the later models use a Lucas 8H which are significantly cheaper and easier to source And a lot easier to fix. I've looked at as many pictures as I can find and can't find any with a 1849 horn. The domed back cover also seems too big to fit properly.... but there is the problem. Trust the parts listing or pictures and word of mouth.....

My 61 G12 CSR uses a 1441 which I got refurbished together with the laminated bracket ( which is essential) from taffhonrns. Unfortunately he has had a stroke and no longer rebuilds them.

I'm not obsessed with originality but if I'm going to do it I'd like to get it correct as much as possible and the research is part of the project.

If anyone has any pictures or advice please chip in.
WiltshireMike

Post by WiltshireMike »

Hi KRM,

As you say, the Parts List shows an 1849.

The 1441 on my G2 CSR was mounted with a single vertical bolt from the LHS side cover screw mount, but looking closer the bike actually has the correct 2x 1/4" hole mount bracket to the rear of that, which will match the 2-hole 1849. I've tracked down what I hope will be a decent working 1849 so will find a new home for the 1441.

Ah, the (new-found) joys of what I anticipated to be a light re-commissioning.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

WiltshireMike wrote:Hi KRM,

As you say, the Parts List shows an 1849.

The 1441 on my G2 CSR was mounted with a single vertical bolt from the LHS side cover screw mount, but looking closer the bike actually has the correct 2x 1/4" hole mount bracket to the rear of that, which will match the 2-hole 1849. I've tracked down what I hope will be a decent working 1849 so will find a new home for the 1441.

Ah, the (new-found) joys of what I anticipated to be a light re-commissioning.
That's detailed restoration not light re-commissioning. Horns are available for less than a tenner on eBay. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
WiltshireMike

Post by WiltshireMike »

Thanks Spriddler, I need saving from myself! Anyways, the 1849 arrived yesterday; nice patina, a loud 'toot' and a tenner. Oh, and also a NOS clutch cover too - wasn't a tenner 😒 but it replaced the cracked 'M'-flashed item.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I poke badgers with spoons.....from 2 metres.

Tell me Spridds does that spoon that you use to poke badgers with have a two meter handle ............ could you tell me if it's similar to a Norfolk dyke dish then?

Just curious.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

cbranni wrote:I poke badgers with spoons.....from 2 metres.

Tell me Spridds does that spoon that you use to poke badgers with have a two meter handle ............ could you tell me if it's similar to a Norfolk dyke dish then?
I'm not familiar with dishy Norfolk dykes Colin, although I see Brighton ones at our annual St. Dykes Day Fair with drag racing on the prom.
Yes, it does have a 2m handle. My great grandfather, Master of the local Badger Poking Hunt used to make them. Mine's one of his traditional two yard spoons which was found to be too long.

(Totally off topic and irrelevant. Apologies. I blame CV19 lockdown fever).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'