Yet another question 1965 csr

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ColourNcoat

Yet another question 1965 csr

Post by ColourNcoat »

After searching for a silencer and down pipe I found a few part numbers relating to my query but entering those numbers there were no results.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for mainly Exhaust silencer and mudguards which I know are chrome for my exhaustless Matchless please :)
dave16mct

Re: Yet another question 1965 csr

Post by dave16mct »

Armours do exhaust and silencer. https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/product/pi ... ightweight

So do Feked.com

Dave
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Armours also do a swept back CSR-style front pipe. I put one of these on my cafe racer. It was a good fit and looked the part.
https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/product/pi ... ghtweight/
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

dave16mct wrote:Armours do exhaust and silencer. https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/product/pi ... ightweight

So do Feked.com

Dave
I've been searching the site and going cross eyed.
Thankyou Dave. It is always appreciated for sure.
Regards Roger.
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

clanger9 wrote:Armours also do a swept back CSR-style front pipe. I put one of these on my cafe racer. It was a good fit and looked the part.
https://www.armoursltd.co.uk/product/pi ... ghtweight/
I was a little tempted on going for a personal touch but decided on the original look.
Many thanks for the reply.
I will get the exhaust on order and see if I can find chrome mudguards now lol.
Thanks again both for the links
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

For 1965 you should have the cigar shaped silencer which unfortunately is unobtainable, the ones shown on the Armours website are for earlier lightweights but may be the only ones you can get. The Norton lightweight silencer shown on the same page is not of the correct pattern, being simply cylindrical and has too large an inlet at 1 3/8".
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

Reynard24 wrote:For 1965 you should have the cigar shaped silencer which unfortunately is unobtainable, the ones shown on the Armours website are for earlier lightweights but may be the only ones you can get. The Norton lightweight silencer shown on the same page is not of the correct pattern, being simply cylindrical and has too large an inlet at 1 3/8".
I am gob smacked :roll:
That has really thrown me now. Do you know of anyone who has come across this problem?
A friend of mine fits exhausts to cars and could flare the end of the pipe for a perfect fit.
Will have another look now.
As always much appreciated.
Thank you.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

The later 'cigar' silencer is a rare beast indeed. I've never seen one in the wild, and even photos are tricky to find. I think this is this the right one:
Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 08.00.34.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1993 Ducati 750SS
KRM

Post by KRM »

76D4D7E2-96B3-4B4F-A5A4-C45859B67368.jpeg
It's very strange. I was just looking on line fro this exact same problem.

The attached came off my 1966 ( registered 67) 14 CSR.
It's in good condition but not sure if it's original.

I saw that there exists a swept back pipe with a straight bottom profile but I can't find any period pictures to confirm that this is the correct type. Any thoughts ? Is the swept back pipe correct for a late csr ?

I'd like to replace this pipe as it's cheaper than rechroming but only if the profile is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I don't think that silencer is original. As far as I know, there are just the two variants: the normal silencer and the 'cigar' one. Here's a photo of a 1966 CSR (from Roy Bacon's book) that shows the cigar silencer and the swept-back downpipe. I suspect this might have been only for the very late models (with coil valve springs).
IMG_0233.jpg
1993 Ducati 750SS