G2CSR barrel

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

G2CSR barrel

Post by basketcase »

Can anyone tell me what colour the engine barrel should be on my 1965 Matchless G2CSR? Some are black, some are silver. I was led to believe that they were silver to make it look like it was an all alloy engine. I think they look better painted black but we don`t want to annoy the rivet counters!!! Cheers, basketcase.
good-hifi

G2CSR barrel

Post by good-hifi »

Silver.......
Mick
basketcase

G2CSR barrel

Post by basketcase »

Cheers, I`ll take the tin of black back then!
alan

G2CSR barrel

Post by alan »

there is a photo on this site of a g2 csr, the barrel is black.
i have not yet seen one with a silver barrel.
regards, alan.
Biscuit
Deceased

G2CSR barrel

Post by Biscuit »

All the promotional material show them black, CSR included.

good-hifi

G2CSR barrel

Post by good-hifi »

Well I have seen them in silver.

Mine and the one in the 1962 Motor Cycle road test, the one in the Motor Cycle Sport 1964 road test, the one in the 1965 Motor Cycle road test and there are a couple of mentions/pictures in Bacons book e.g. page 222.

Seems that you ain't going to please the rivet counters whatever you do so just do whatever you want. It's your bike who cares what anyone else thinks, some people just like to be negative and contradictory whatever the subject matter.

CheersEdited by - good-hifi on 29 Nov 2006 5:34:01 PM
Mick
lawrence

G2CSR barrel

Post by lawrence »

So you have to worry about not just black or silver but was it matt or gloss, or gosh it might have been satin.

Do what Mick says and choose what you like. In forty years I have only ever met one 'rivet counter'. I think they are an urban myth like crocs coming out of the sewers. Nobody has ever pointed out that my bike is the wrong colour.Edited by - lawrence on 29 Nov 2006 10:47:50 PM
matman

G2CSR barrel

Post by matman »

So, Nigel, in the face of this discussion, you should choose 'pink metalflake' for your barrel.
lawrence

G2CSR barrel

Post by lawrence »

Can you tell Jan-Hendrik is from Deutschland? It'll be Lederhosen riding gear to match then??

(He's a very nice man really) In fact he is a very very nice man and writes a nice letter. Good on you Jan-H
chris kelly

G2CSR barrel

Post by chris kelly »

Hi,

I think for your model year the answer is black.

"Model 14 and G2.
The original 'touring' model introduced in 1958 and priced when available on the home market at £196 9 s 8d. The colour finish was all black frame, forks, chaincase, mudguards, headlamp ( except chromium plated rim ) and cylinder barrel, with Mediterranean blue (A.J.S.) or Matchless red tank ...... "

Model 14 C.S.R. Sapphire and G2 C.S.R. introduced in 1962........."The cylinder barrel was silver painted as where the cylinder head fin edges ; "

Best wishes,
Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'