G2CSR barrel

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
good-hifi

G2CSR barrel

Post by good-hifi »

quote:
Hmmm. Somebody needs to go back & read his primary school physics text book that is propping the door open.
Cheers, Don.

Feel free Don, it'll also cut down on the draft through your door, which, by the way, is just the movement of air from a high pressure to a low pressure area and is relative to the velocity of movement of an object in a given medium...
Mick
Sanders

G2CSR barrel

Post by Sanders »

Didn't any of you ever play with an object called 'Leslies Cube' in physics lessons at school. good-hifi is right in what he says.

And to be frank the thread started with a simple question which was answered correctly so why all this fuss and cafuffle. Is life that boring?.
good-hifi

G2CSR barrel

Post by good-hifi »

Can we underline this and just leave it at that. I don't really care if I am right or wrong. I threw the reasoning behind the colour of the barrel in as an aside, it was just a throw away comment and is not really worthy of debate.

Anyway I'm sure we must all be busy since our Wives are keen for us to do loads of jobs around the house before the Christmas visitors descend upon us....
Mick
Samuel

G2CSR barrel

Post by Samuel »

quote:
And when I look under the bonnet of my '67 Volvo Amazon or my '71 Mercedes 250C, the radiators seem rather black than white to me... So the white radiators in your living room should not lead you to wrong conclusions - they are white to avoid burning your b*tt

Cannot resist one more comment - it is back which radiates heat best. Lookmup 'black body radiation' in a science book. This works in space where there is no air to carry away heat just as well as on earth. White reflects heat best so it is the best to wear in the Tropics.
However most radiators, whether under a hood (bonnet) or in a living space, do more convecting than radiation, hence the importance of airflow through the 'radiator' in a vehicle, so they are misnamed.
Which leads me onto another subject. So called shock absorbers which really damp (and are thus sometimes referred to as dampers) the movement of the real shock absorbers, which are usually referred to as springs...
Enjoy...
Sam
Don Madden

G2CSR barrel

Post by Don Madden »

Hello, Sam. Yes, the black body radiation was one of the points I referred to, & as you say, black is best.

Of course, any paint on the hot surface acts as an insulator, but necessary on iron which would quickly form a crust of oxide without it. I don't know how much thermal resistance rust offers.

The other main point, only vertical, more or less, fins can lose heat by convection as hot air, being lighter than cold, is displaced by the cold air & rises if not blocked.

Most air cooled motorcycles, other than horizontal cylinder types, are cooled by conduction, eventually by the fins to the moving air stream.

Yes, let's get back to riding, or if the weather is too severe, arguing about cats!

Cheers, Don.
Sanders

G2CSR barrel

Post by Sanders »

Well I guess that has made my mind up. I've been logging onto this site on and off for a while. I've been wondering whether to by a Matchless or AJS and join the club.

Much of the time I just see this childish one upmanship and nit picking or people moaning about progress. And in general a rather humourless approach to life and motorcylcles

I did think it was just the Yahoo message board that was bad seeing people complaining that Harley Davidson riders have the termerity to turn up at a bike rally in the USA!!!!. I see one or two common names for both and to be frank if you guys cannot just leave be and let alone then you are not the kind I want to be associated with.

This thread began with someone asking a simple question to which there could only be one correct answer. That answer was given and what happens, a few of you decide to have goes at the person giving the answer. Now what is all that about?. Having looked at the Bios I see he is a newish member. Oh dear, does one have to be a member for a long time in order to be able to post without fear?.

I'll be looking at another manfacturer where maybe the club membership has more empathy toward one another.

Oh and the last two posters, you are wrong, dreadfully wrong no matter how clever you might believe yourselves to be.

itma

G2CSR barrel

Post by itma »

sense of humour short circuit
Merlin

G2CSR barrel

Post by Merlin »

ONLY ON THING TO SAY SANDERS CLEAR OFF
Chemists do it with test tubes
Biscuit
Deceased

G2CSR barrel

Post by Biscuit »

Tut tut Merlin, diplomacy mate.

Mr. Sanders may I suggest that you visit your nearest Section, you don't necessarily need to possess a bike of the Marque initially and see how you get on. I believe I am correct in saying that the posters on the website are a minority within the AJMOC, certainly from my Section only one posts regularly and one infrequently.

Merlin

G2CSR barrel

Post by Merlin »

Sorry Alan not a strong point of mine,but Mr Sanders should be old enough and wise enough to be aware that you cannot get on with everyone in any particular organisation.
Chemists do it with test tubes