Rear wheel nuts and spacers

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
DaveC29011953

Rear wheel nuts and spacers

Post by DaveC29011953 »

When we first rebuilt our late 1966 G2CSR, being hard up we made use of what was in the box of bits we bought. It has been off the road for a few years and is now being rebuilt to spec. We have a problem with the rear wheel as, when I have the correct spacers, when I complete things by fitting the existing nuts that secure the brake and speedo drive the whole assembly is just too wide for the swinging arm. Now I'm getting a replacement speedo drive as I'm pretty certain the one it came with was not correct but the fit of the anti rotation bit on the brake plate also seems wrong, it seems to have a large gap ! I suspect the two nuts it came with are just too big. Can anyone tell us how thick these nuts, 043305 on the diagram and the washer 043306 should be. If you have an original we'd like to know. Many thanks. Dave and Sara
ColourNcoat

Re: Rear wheel nuts and spacers

Post by ColourNcoat »

DaveC29011953 wrote:When we first rebuilt our late 1966 G2CSR, being hard up we made use of what was in the box of bits we bought. It has been off the road for a few years and is now being rebuilt to spec. We have a problem with the rear wheel as, when I have the correct spacers, when I complete things by fitting the existing nuts that secure the brake and speedo drive the whole assembly is just too wide for the swinging arm. Now I'm getting a replacement speedo drive as I'm pretty certain the one it came with was not correct but the fit of the anti rotation bit on the brake plate also seems wrong, it seems to have a large gap ! I suspect the two nuts it came with are just too big. Can anyone tell us how thick these nuts, 043305 on the diagram and the washer 043306 should be. If you have an original we'd like to know. Many thanks. Dave and Sara
Hi Dave,
If you don't have any joy, I will pop into work tomorrow and measure mine for you.
Regards Roger.
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

The inner nuts are 11mm and the large spacer is 18.2mm the washer 2.6mm.
Unfortunately the battery was going so was easier to measure metric. Hope this helps.
Roger.
KRM

Post by KRM »

Did you find what you wanted? If not I've got a 66 I could take some pics / measurements for you.
DaveC29011953

Post by DaveC29011953 »

ColourNcoat has given me dimensions which I'm checking tommorrow, pics of yours would possibly help as well. I'm a bit worried about the engagement of the brake plate/swinging arm anti rotation bit. Thanks. Dave C
ColourNcoat

Post by ColourNcoat »

DaveC29011953 wrote:ColourNcoat has given me dimensions which I'm checking tommorrow, pics of yours would possibly help as well. I'm a bit worried about the engagement of the brake plate/swinging arm anti rotation bit. Thanks. Dave C
Today I re-laced my rear wheel for new rims and there is a piece which is riveted to the brake plate which slotted onto a lug on the swinging arm.
Roger
DaveC29011953

Post by DaveC29011953 »

ColourNcoat wrote:
DaveC29011953 wrote:ColourNcoat has given me dimensions which I'm checking tommorrow, pics of yours would possibly help as well. I'm a bit worried about the engagement of the brake plate/swinging arm anti rotation bit. Thanks. Dave C
Today I re-laced my rear wheel for new rims and there is a piece which is riveted to the brake plate which slotted onto a lug on the swinging arm.
Roger
Yes, I'm concerned about the fact that when I used the existing nut & washer combination the lug and brake plate piece do not engage snuggly, in fact its only a couple of mm rather than sitting deep in the lug. That is why I was wondering if the 11mm nut was too thick.
WiltshireMike

Post by WiltshireMike »

The 11mm nut should bear directly onto the brake plate. The washer sits outboard against the swingarm under the 'long' nut on either side. At least that's how my 66 G2CSR is assembled. One small tip is that I had to fit a ~1mm thick washer under the brake plate to keep the shoes from scraping the inner face of the brake drum.
Janet

Post by Janet »

It appears you need the assistance of an expert. Stop laughing there at the back. I never claimed that I am that expert, did I? However, I may be able to help a little.

Below, (hopefully, I'm no expert with cameras or computers either) you will find a photo showing the end of the swingng arm together with part of a rear brake plate plus component parts fitting one side of the rear wheel spindle. Towards the top you should see the two 'jaws' forming a slot on the brake plate that slide above and below the 'lug' on the swinging arm. How far the lug sits along the slot depends on the length of the final drive chain when tensioned, but otherwise it should be a snug fit within the 'jaws' and close to the back of the slot, (even without the muck and rust that gives it extra grip.)

Now I come to the spindle. I'll start with the simple thing. When you say "the whole assembly is just too wide for the swinging arm" do you mean as in a teeny weeny bit or as in 'absolutely won't fit'? If the former, it's possible there's a slight bend on one or both arms, possibly caused by a previous owner having tightened everything up without one of the correct parts, pulling the ends in a tad too close.

Starting from the end, there is the big long nut, then a thick washer against the swinging arm. Both of those are on the outside of the arm so don't really have any effect on the wheel fitting in. On the inside of the arm there is a 3/8" locking nut and then a thin washer, probably about 1/16" that partially sits in a groove in the brake plate. It shows slightly proud in the photo. Behind the brake plate there is another thin washer, a spacer, then the bearing parts.
brake plate to swinging arm.JPG
Please note: I'm only writing from my experience of my own beloved rusty steed. I suggest anyone who may think of following anything I say, asks an expert first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveC29011953

Post by DaveC29011953 »

Thanks for all the replies. When we first rebuild the 'bike and looked at several similar late G2s we came to the conclusion they had been put together by using whatever was left in the stores ! Just too many differences. Ours was one of the last few so I suspect the parts bins were getting empty. I also suspect that the rear fork has seen some over tightning of spindle nuts. I still have the problem that using a nut and washer of the sizes described leaves the lug well away from the bottom of the slot on the brake plate. I think I'll end up turning the nuts retaining the speedo drive and brake plate down by a couple of mm.