Gear change and Pawl Spring Fitting

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Roger R

Gear change and Pawl Spring Fitting

Post by Roger R »

It would be appreciated if someone could confirm that I have assembled the springs correctly. Also is the pawl in the correct position for fitting with the g/box in neutral.
I have to take the assembly apart as I need to replace the cupped pawl spring washer. The springs are new.
TIA
IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Roger R on Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
56G80S

Re: Gear change and Pawl Spring Fitting

Post by 56G80S »

It's a long time since I hade the AMC gearbox to pieces at all but please see below quote from Don Madden (rarely wrong):

“Your symptoms are typical of an inverted pawl spring in the outer cover. Fit the spring with the cranked end nearest the bottom of the gearbox. Cheers! Don.”
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... C&start=10

Johnny B
Roger R

Post by Roger R »

Hi Johnny B
Thanks for the reply.

The new spring that I have is cranked vertically in both legs and the legs are of even length and shape in the horizintal plane so now not sure whether this is the correct spring. It was purchased from Jampot spares and was designated as spring selector pawl Pt No. 041327 www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=21803

I have read about a spring with one of the legs cranked differently I just thought that this was the replacement version. The gearchange lever spring is definitely a modified version which apparently stops the spring potentially cracking.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

The pawl spring looks right, but the pawl isn't fully home. Give it a push so it fully engages with the return spring.
IMG_1305.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by clanger9 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote:It's a long time since I hade the AMC gearbox to pieces at all but please see below quote from Don Madden (rarely wrong):

“Your symptoms are typical of an inverted pawl spring in the outer cover. Fit the spring with the cranked end nearest the bottom of the gearbox. Cheers! Don.”
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... C&start=10

Johnny B
John you do know how to confuse people, that remark from Don is for the heavyweight AMC gearbox not the Lightweight AMC gearbox pictured here.
Roger R

Post by Roger R »

clanger9 wrote:The pawl spring looks right, but the pawl isn't fully home. Give it a push so it fully engages with the return spring.
IMG_1305.jpeg
Thanks for reply. I have to reassemble when I get the new washer, this one looks like its been chewed on one edge of the cupped part.
Got one through Norvil Motorcycles as Jampot spares didn`t have one.
Keep fingers crossed gearchange improves with new springs.

Roger
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rob

I didn't see mention of lightweight in the original post. I usually click on the "recent posts" tab.

Yes, I have successfully dismantled and re-assembled a lightweight "round" gearbox before. There are precious few longer term lightweight owners who haven't.

It's a long time since I had my AMC box apart although I will be doing next winter.

Johnny B