Brake anchor arm bolts

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Biscuit
Deceased

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by Biscuit »

A stud, properly fitted and of the correct length will use the whole depth of the thread in the slider, a bolt cannot be allowed to bottom and will therefore not use all the available thread. In theory, and with lubricant on the outer end of the stud, say copper grease, the stud will not come out, meaning less wear on these vital thtreads

RogerJ

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by RogerJ »

quote: If you dont use bolts its a devil of a job to remove the mudguard.

There must be a knack to this as even with the correct combination of studs and bolts I had a hell of a job getting the mudguard back in place (on a 1954 18S) - the only way I could do it was to remove the studs as well. (Removal was OK as I was removing the forks anyway). Oh what hours of fun!
Biscuit
Deceased

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by Biscuit »

I find that I can squeeze the mudguard enough to clear the studs.

paul knapp

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by paul knapp »

Over an 8 year period, from '50 to '57, (I didn't research outside this time frame), the factory called for 2 off 1-1/32" long X 5/16 dia.22tpi studs in the L/H slider (also clamps the brake torque arm with 26tpi hex nuts)
The R/H side calls up 2 off 1/2"long x 5/16"22tpi hex bolts, no doubt for ease of fitment.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

ajscomboman

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by ajscomboman »

That's exactly the setup that i have on both the outfits and the lightweight, 1958-61 period. Thanks for confirming that Paul.
TommoT

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by TommoT »

quote:
Over an 8 year period, from '50 to '57, (I didn't research outside this time frame), the factory called for 2 off 1-1/32" long X 5/16 dia.22tpi studs in the L/H slider (also clamps the brake torque arm with 26tpi hex nuts)
The R/H side calls up 2 off 1/2"long x 5/16"22tpi hex bolts, no doubt for ease of fitment.

Thanks Paul and others suggesting this solution. Sounds like the perfect compromise between maximum security and convenience!Edited by - TommoT on 15 Feb 2007 11:05:37 PM
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
paul knapp

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by paul knapp »

WELL!!!.........'stone the crows 'n starve the flamin' lizards' !!!!!!!
I'm good for somethin' at last...

...just a thought,.... when fitting the guard bridge over the studs, (on the L.H.side) rotate the R.H. slider around so to give more guard clearance so as to not foul against the bridge boss.

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

itma

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by itma »

another take on this is that constant remval and replacing of the bolts wears the thread, amateur mechanics being what they are and always were, its odds on the thread will get stripped , crossed or mangled,
This is less likely to happen with the stud set- up, especially on the brake stay side.
Just some one applying common sense at Plumstead?
Turning the slider around is what I always did, would have thoght it obvious?
basketcase

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by basketcase »

Well, I only asked what I thought was a simple question and look where that got me!!!

You are right Ken in what you say about amateur mechanics which is why I was, in a previous life a butcher/slaughterman.

Thanks everyone, all I need now is find a supplier for the helicoil kit that I will need!
RogerJ

Brake anchor arm bolts

Post by RogerJ »

Nigel, try www.uni-thread.com (or 01803 559595) - they seem competitively priced and very efficient.