MONO or MULTIGRADE OIL

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Brian Hebditch

MONO or MULTIGRADE OIL

Post by Brian Hebditch »

I am in the final throws of a total rebuild of a 1960 G2 250. Should I use a 'modern' 20/50 multigrade or a 'traditional' monograde (ie. 30) for the engine/p.chain/g.box. ANY pros & cons would be greatly appreciated as 20 years ago I was advised to use a 20/50 for eng/p.chain & EP90 in g.box for the same engine.
gacorner

MONO or MULTIGRADE OIL

Post by gacorner »

For anything without all plain bearings I would strongly recommend using monograde.
I would just use engine oil for the primary chain as I don't think it is critical.
On this late box EP90 is fine and it is available in local shops in small quantities but heavy monograde should be OK too.

Geo
Brian Hebditch

MONO or MULTIGRADE OIL

Post by Brian Hebditch »

Thanks.
Any recommendation as to make and availability of mono.
Brian.
Ian Stack.

MONO or MULTIGRADE OIL

Post by Ian Stack. »

My recommendation for a mono type oil, in my opinion, is pennzoil. I don"t know how available it is in other countries but I use their HD sae30 in my Matchy 350 right from a complete rebuild.
Possibly in more testing climates,try HD sae30 in winter & HD sae50 for summer. Hope this helps!
Melbourne.
Brian Hebditch

MONO or MULTIGRADE OIL

Post by Brian Hebditch »

Thanks, I have obtained some Silkolene Chatsworth grade SAE 40 for winter. Unfortunately even though after rebore and new valves, guides and piston, when the engine warms up it begins to smoke and drip oil out of the exhaust. As the inlet valve drip feed is screwed down to min and the plug is not oiled up I suspect too much oil flow down the exhaust valve guide as all oil ways are fully clean and the oil pump plunger is new and up to full pressure. The original engine burnt little oil and when stripped out the exhaust valve guide oil ways were well coked. As the new engine has only covered 20 miles do you think it will settle down and coke its own oil restriction. I am running out of ideas.