G2 New Owner Problems.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rees

G2 New Owner Problems.

Post by Rees »

Hello all, I am the new owner of a 1961 Matchless G2. It was fully restored 2 years ago [supposedly] and left in a dealer showroom. It had stood dry during this time. I have filled engine oil [20/50w], but cannot find the filler for the gearbox?. I have run the bike idle a couple of times with no gearbox oil. Now the kickstart has gone really stiff and will not turn the engine [is through no gear oil/dry clutch plates possibly?].
There are 2 petrol taps, one on each side of the tank. Does anyone know which is the reserve tap?.
There is a tickler on the carb, but also a handlebar choke, the bike starts with the lever pulled back [choke cable pulled out] The bike runs nicely[or did before kickstart jammed] at higher revs, but as it warms up and I shut the choke, it begins to splutter and smoke. Is the choke a pull on choke, or the other way round?.
I know these questions may sound dumb to the experienced Brit rider but any help will be appreciated.
Thanks...Dave Rees
Biscuit
Deceased

G2 New Owner Problems.

Post by Biscuit »

It is customary to welcome new posters to the site, but you have been an idiot haven't you.

The gearbox filler is on the r/h side, an oval cap with two screws. The box holds three pints.

You shouldn't even look at the poor girl before you have the manuals, workshop and owners. Look here for manuals - http://www.brucemainsmith.com/, or - http://217.157.196.176:8181/ajs/ or purchase them from the Club.

Lets hope you haven't done too much damage.

alan

G2 New Owner Problems.

Post by alan »

hi,
when you pull the choke lever back towards you (cable tight)the choke is off,
on my g2 i use the left tap as the reserve.
dont forget to check the engine oil is pumping back through the small hole that you can see when you take the filler cap off (it usally glugs back slowly) that is when you get it running again.
regards, alan
Merlin

G2 New Owner Problems.

Post by Merlin »

Not to sound too rude but what sought of person would sell a bike without at least giving the buyer a little help in the right direction.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Rees

G2 New Owner Problems.

Post by Rees »

Thanks for the warm greeting and some good advice about the choke [not the Idiot bit - thanks].I bought the bike from a bike shop in Northwich via Ebay. It was advertised as fully restored, 'Ride or Show', but some things were ommitted, like no oil or petrol, no headlight or brake light, stone chips etc. I expected to jump on and ride away as it has T&T. As I mentioned in my first email, I filled petrol and engine oil [the 20/50 may need to be changed for straight 40. I have bought a workshop CD [Ebay again] which is full of info, so I am starting to get a better insight. I am hoping by using the kickstart it has done no damage [the engine is a separate unit from the box and I did not ride the bike at all, only fired it up for 30 seconds [engine oil in], I am hoping that when gear oil is added, the kickstart will move normally and engage the engine. Well thanks for the advice. Regards, Dave Rees
paul knapp

G2 New Owner Problems.

Post by paul knapp »

G,day Dave, welcome to 'real' motorcycling, plenty of expert, sincere advice available from posters on this site, tho you may have to put a newspaper in the seat of your pants occasionally..
Keep the questions comin'.
Cheers, Paul..
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Biscuit
Deceased

G2 New Owner Problems.

Post by Biscuit »

Hmm, bit strong 'Idiot', let's say silly. I hope you gave the dealer suitable feedback. Assuming a photo, plus headlamp, was shown on Ebay, does one have any comeback?.

itma

G2 New Owner Problems.

Post by itma »

And you do not have to pay for the tech info, its all availiable free on the net, better informed than me can supply links.
You are lucky to have got away with idiot..... if it had been me.........., sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind