AJS Model 14 Sump Plug

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
JohnR

AJS Model 14 Sump Plug

Post by JohnR »

I wish to do and oil change and also to clean up the magnetic piece which I understand is inside the Sump Plug. I believe the oil tank plug is the forward one of the two on the bottom of the engine and the sump plug the rear. The sump plug is proving to be extremely tight and I am wondering what sort of pressure can be exerted before damage may be done. Are there ant tricks, do I just apply pressure to my socket handle, tap it, apply heat to the nut? any ideas please.
lawrence

AJS Model 14 Sump Plug

Post by lawrence »

Hi John
I am not familiar with the egine but all these plugs are in aluminium. It does not take a lot of effort to strip the threads in the case. No tapping or force should be needed just a steady pull by hand on the spanner. You have to hope a previous owner has not used studlok (As opposed to Nutlok). Try again with just a little littlemore force. Good luck.
Biscuit
Deceased

AJS Model 14 Sump Plug

Post by Biscuit »

Get the engine hot first?. Make sure you are turning them the correct way, it can get misleading when you are working upside down.

JohnR

AJS Model 14 Sump Plug

Post by JohnR »

Thanks for the words of wisdom. Running the engine up to working temperature and a (little) more pressure did the trick. Job now done. Much happier!!
lawrence

AJS Model 14 Sump Plug

Post by lawrence »

Well done John. its a good job we have the sages here to guide you. I just assumed the engine would be hot as oil should always be drained from a hot engine.

they do say "don't assume as it makes an ass out of u and me" Mainly me
JohnR

AJS Model 14 Sump Plug

Post by JohnR »

Hi Lawrence. You were right to assume that the engine would be hot. It would have been, however as the bike was new to me I suppose I was just testing the three plugs that I needed to remove to try to assure myself that I was not going to run into any problems. Again thanks, it is good that there are people around to offer advice.