Matchless G2 Locked Gearbox/kickstart

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rees

Post by Rees »

5 May 2007
Hi all, I am hoping someone can offer some advice. The kickstart on My 1961 G2 has locked solid. Thought the primary chain had come off the sprockets, but no they are ok. Trying to remove the gearbox end cover, remove the 6 bolts and it should come off [according to the manual]. The cover is still as tight as when the bolts were in?. Tried tapping the cover with a wooden mallet but solid as a rock [maybe the problem is pressing on the inside of the cover?].Anyone got any ideas how to get the damn thing off ?. Or is there a special techique/tool to get the cover off?
Cheers, Dave Rees
alan

Post by alan »

hi dave,
i suppose you have removed the footrest, large outer timing cover, gear lever,and kickstart first?
if so, according to the book, then take the screws from the outer g/box cover, and replace the gearchange lever to give you something to pull on, and it just pulls right off, it worked o.k on mine.
regards, alan.
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Removing the kick start lever is a must. When I first took one apart the cover was held fairly firmly by gunge and muck between the cover and the semicircular housing at the rear of the engine. Try slackening the gearbox clamp straps.

Rees

Post by Rees »

Thanks for the info Alan & co, I have removed all those bits already before starting but have not tried refitting the gear lever to get some leverage.I will give that a go. I cant understand how it can be so tight with nothing apparantly holding the cover on [unless some joker has superglued it on!!.
Also which parts are the gearbox clamp straps, is it the treaded bar with nuts on which goes from the engine to the gearbox? above the cover.
Cheers, Dave Rees
alan

Post by alan »

hi again,
the gearbox clamps are the two bands that circle the gearbox, the the threaded bar as you call it is the adjuster to move the gearbox forward or back, to adjust the primary chain.
have you got the lightweight owners manual? if not i will send you a pdf file with it on.
regards, alan
Rees

Post by Rees »

Hi Alan, yes I have an owner manual, although the info is very patchy regarding the gearbox cover. It says take out the 6 bolts and remove the cover -easy.. well if the damn cover would budge it would be. I have tried refitting the gearlever to gain some leverage, alas the leverage is the wrong way. All it does is tries to push the casing 'ON'more. The leverage is trying to pull the gear lever spline outwards out of the gearbox which I dont think it can do before the cover is removed and the bolts inside are removed [or am I wrong on this?]. I dont want to damage anything any more than it might be already. [That huge slegehammer is starting to look tempting though]
I will check again for the gearbox clamps although I cant see anything that looks like that.....just off to the shed to check.
Cheers, Dave Rees.
Rees

Post by Rees »

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Dave the gear spline is meant to come out with the lever attached assuming you haev'nt put the gear indicator bolt back in. If you have removed all the bits mentioned before and loosened the straps, try heating the case up with a hot air gun if you have one whilst pulling the gear lever outwards.
Rees

Post by Rees »

Hi Alan, Success at last, managed to get the cover off by using a sharp wood chisel with gentle tapping aroung the cover joint. Cant understand why it was stuck fast. Next step is to get the kickstart mech out to try and find why it is locked solid. Might be a problem as the book says to depress the kickstart to relieve the tension on the spring, due to the fact that the kickstart is locked in a vertical position could make this operation tricky.
Cheers, Dave Rees
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

It is better not to depress the kicker starter, as, under spring tension the the ratchet is held in place, if you relieve the tension it will come away from it's worm drive and you will have to guess where to put it on replacement.

On second thoughts re relieving spring tension, your not reading the notes for the heavyweight AMC box?Edited by - Biscuit on 07 May 2007 5:02:27 PM