G2 CSR HEADLAMP RIM TO SHELL

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
steve bennett

Post by steve bennett »

Hi I wonder if anyone can help. I am working on my first ever project a 250 lightweight, with very limited practical experience. The headlamp shell measures 6 1/2" internal dimension and I bought a new headlamp rim from our club spare scheme. The rim seems to be too big by about 1/8" which when tightened up at the lower bracket point raises the whole rim away from the locating 'sections' holding it at the top. It does nt seem to fit basically. Not sure if there is supposed to be any sort of seal between rim and shell to take up slack. I live in Sandhurst Berkshire if anyone lives near enough to help.
Many thanks
alan

Post by alan »

hi steve,
not sure which size of headlamp is on yours being a csr.
i have the standard lightweight g2 model which takes a 5 1/2" headlamp measured across the glass, made by wipac, i had a quick look before and i think it could be about 6 1/2 inches across the headlamp shell.
there is no seal used, the rim pushes on quite a tight fit, and is held on to the shell by the small clip under the rim, it sounds as if your rim maybe too big for the headlamp shell.
are your forks the "james/francis barnet" type, or the heavyweight type as fitted to some of the later models?
regards, alan
steve bennett

Post by steve bennett »

Hi Alan. Thank you for your reply. My bike I believe is one of the last to be made and registered in 65/66. I think the forks are the type fitted to a heavyweight but will check the difference. I think I will also check with the club spares to see if there are any slight differences in the sizing of the rims as mine certainly has nt got a tight fit as I said earlier. Get there in the end I guess, thanks again.

Steve
chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Steve,

Copying from the "Motor Cycle" in February, 1965,,,," There was news of modifications ......to The Sapphire Ninety as this 248 cc model is now named.........

Wipac 6 in diameter headlamp with pre focus light unit and 30/24 watt main bulb

This model has Coil valve springs replacing the hairpin variety and the compression is stepped up from 8 to 1 to 9.5 to 1.

Suspension..AMC telescopic front fork with hydraulic damping....a larger capacity silencer is fitted....

If this sounds like your model, then the next problem is how is the headlamp measured ?

An earlier road test states...... in 1958."New 250"s from Woolwich"....to carry the 6 inch diameter Wipac headlamp.

And, confusingly, in my book of Road tests.. a review of riders reports on the range of 250"s gives the later models Wipac headlamp as 7 inch .

I think the Rim you have which won"t fit is the Lucas one ....I had the same problem with my 1966 model 14 CSR, so I left my silightly dented rim on. Maybe you will have to rechrome an original ?

Best wishes, Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'