Alternator G2

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Mick.E

Alternator G2

Post by Mick.E »

I have to replace the alternator (stator and rotor) on my 1959 G2, been looking at the modern replacements at http://www.sparxelectrical.com/acatalog ... ators.html
but am confused with all this single phase - 3 phase malarky. As I also have to replace the rectifier and the all the wiring & switches can anyone point me in the right direction as to the best way to go.
alan

Alternator G2

Post by alan »

hi mick,
that seems awfull expensive to to replace an alternator, cant you get a second hand one somewhere?
regards, alan
bjork

Alternator G2

Post by bjork »

Ahh! you need to visit your local section you do, me duck. Single/three phase are just normal/higher output types that need different wiring and rectifiers/regulators to match them. Not difficult when you have the bits and the instructions in front of you. People like sparx will advise which bits go together. The single phase type will supply plenty of charge unless you want to run lots and lots of 100watt lights/electronic ignition and heated clothing etc. If you just want a standard looking bike with decent lights then single phase will do nicely.
Tomorrow is Tuesday,the day after is East Mids clubnight at a hostelry near you. There will be plenty of folk there happy to help you out with advice and experience of your model. They may well have some of the bits you are missing too!

Steve
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Mick.E

Alternator G2

Post by Mick.E »

Thanks Steve me duck
What times kick off at the Spade tree, reckon I'll come over and pay a visit.Edited by - Mick.E on 15 Oct 2007 11:45:43 PM
bag-o-nails

Alternator G2

Post by bag-o-nails »

Hello Mick
Just Ring AMC Classic Spares
Tony will have a second hand one £40.00

you should not need to change the rotor
unless it is demagnatised (prolonged use
of polarity reversal) is the only cause

As for the rectifier fit a solid state far less hassle

cheers b-o-n
Mick.E

Alternator G2

Post by Mick.E »

bag-o-nails
Cheers for that, need both rotor and stator as they were missing when I brought the bike as were 90% of the electrics.
bag-o-nails

Alternator G2

Post by bag-o-nails »

No problem Mike
just noticed you need a loom as well?

Colin Farrington is your man

Tel;01603 737702

solid state rectifier about £10

Cheers b-o-n
bjork

Alternator G2

Post by bjork »

No official starting time, we are far too informal for that. I think the early birds get there from about 8pm ish, whilst those of us still working are much less predictable. There are always at least a couple of bikes even in crummy weather, and the rest use their cars.
If you do buy a second hand alternator, check it carefully. The leads from the stator are prone to age hardening and fracturing near the coils-awkward to solder new cables on sometimes impossible. Check stator for continuity and for contact damage between the two parts, and check for the rotor still being strongly magnetic and not loose on it's centre.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today