woe woe G2 woe

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Locust

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Locust »

Right
Spriddler is answering the piston question I think.
But the pictures are of an early tube breather, there is only one hole in the ring, so it has to be the long tube bolt.
The newer ring has two holes one for the fixing bolt (threaded) and one to let the pressure out.
Am I correct???
chris kelly

woe woe G2 woe

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Ken, Probably stating obvious, but "Technical Tips" on our home page mentions the breather several times..and a drawing. Article by John Allen. Lightweight engines.

Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
Biscuit
Deceased

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Biscuit »

How can it be the long tube bolt type when there is no thread in the crankcase? This can only be some kind of interim model.

Locust

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Locust »

Alan
Some butcher has drilled the thread out and put the thread in the ring for what reason I no not. but it only has the one hole.
alan

woe woe G2 woe

Post by alan »

hi,
not been on here for a while having sold the g2 and bought a burgman.
i will try and give some details of the breather setup.
it is a three part system, "rotor" which is fitted to the crankshaft via a woodruff key.
"stator" that the rotor runs around inside.
and the "tube" that holds the stator in place, and allows the engine to breath out towards the rear sprocket.
on the early g2 the "tube was not threaded into the stator" but threaded at the top end to screw into the crankase and push fit into the stator.
a modification was made later on, because where the tube pushed into the rotor, sloppiness would occur, so the stator was threaded and so was the bottom of the tube, so they screwed together.
the thread at the top of the tube is not now needed as the two parts are now tight.
not very clear to read i know, but it is the best way i can explain it.
regards, alan.
deshollier
Deceased

woe woe G2 woe

Post by deshollier »

Would that all explanations are as clear - I don't have such a beast, but it is very clear to me!
Locust

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Locust »

Do you understand Itma cos I cant follow this now, I still think it was a butcher that got there first.
Biscuit
Deceased

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Biscuit »

Eminently understandable. However, the final mod., that of no tube, two holes in the stator and a short bolt holding the stator is not mentioned.

As I suggested the setup Itma has must be an interim mod. All he needs to do is to fit a decent bolt with a hole through it.

itma

woe woe G2 woe

Post by itma »

Exactly.
I shall make up a bolt, suitably holed; anyone give me an idea how big the original bore of this miscreant object was, or won`t it matter?
All my very long drills are 1/4" so that will probably settle it
Biscuit
Deceased

woe woe G2 woe

Post by Biscuit »

The hole in the hollow tuby thingy was less than a 1/4", so I think that would suffice.