Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by basketcase »

It wasn`t until I raised my `bike on a block of wood (don`t ask!) that I realised that there was play in the head bearings. Upon tightening the nut, after loosening the two bolts clamping the lower yoke,there is still play up until the steering locks up tight.When I back the nut off, even slightly, the play appears again. All the parts are new, ball bearings, cups etc.,and they`ve been well greased. The other thing is the upper(black)fork shrouds become loose when the nut is tightened to the max. Where am I going wrong?
Biscuit
Deceased

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by Biscuit »

Check to see if the cups are distorted. I've had some that were not ground after hardening, when placed on a surface plate they rocked a considerable amount.

On second thoughts are you sure the stanchions are actually moving in the bottom yoke?Edited by - Biscuit on 03 Mar 2008 7:34:09 PM

basketcase

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by basketcase »

I didn`t think that they should move? The stanchions that is.

When I hold the front wheel and pull and push gently you can see the yokes moving, almost as if there is too much room where the ball bearings sit, could it be that I have the wrong cups?

Didn`t think to check the cups, as they were from the club I automatically thought that they would be ok. Looks like a strip down this weekend to check. Do I need to check both sets, the ones in the yokes and the ones in the frame?
Biscuit
Deceased

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by Biscuit »

I would check all of them (easy for me to say!)

When you adjust the play, the stanchions have to move through the bottom yoke as you move the top bracket by virtue of tightening the nut. Put another way, adjusting the bearing reduces the gap between top bracket and yoke, something must give - the stanchions moving through the yoke. I would check this first.

Circlip

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by Circlip »

Mine isnt like that. The adjustment nut on mine is clamped into the top yoke. Slacken the clamp and the nut can be turned within the yoke any movement can be accomodated within the yoke and it is then reclamped.
I think the bearing assembly is incorrect, it would appear you are bottoming out before the bearings come up to the race.
Biscuit
Deceased

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by Biscuit »

As a CSR, Basketcase has the heavyweight forks, it would appear you have the James type forks Circlip, completely different animal.

Locust

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by Locust »

Hi Basketcase
There are a few reasons for your problem.
1 Are the balls the correct size.??
2 is a ball or balls stuck down the side and not in the track.??
3 As Biscuit said your tubes are not free to move up.??
I would take the stantions out and check the headstock on its own.??

Best of luck let us know what it was.???
Locust
Biscuit
Deceased

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by Biscuit »

The fact that the upper shrouds come loose leads me to think that the top bracket is tipping as you tighten the nut. Are you sure that the top of the stanchions are seated home in the recesses in the top bracket?. I would remove the stanchion top nuts and check whether this is the case. While you have the nuts loose screw them in to about 1/8" of the top bracket and then tap them down to see if the stanchions actually move through the bottom yoke.

basketcase

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by basketcase »

WOW!!!

Too much information!!

I will strip the whole thing down this weekend and go from there.
The `wrong sized balls` theory came to me last night at work, also the chance that one of them could have been missplaced as I reassembled them.

When I tried to take out the play the bottom yoke pinch bolts were loosened off and the top nuts won`t `bite` if the stanchions aren`t fully home so I don`t think it`s that.

The one thing I thought could be the matter with the shroud is; could the springs be worn? While I have it stripped down I`ll check the length.

So until the weekend, if the wife doesn`t find me some more jobs to do, and if work doesn`t ring me with some fools errand, and if the car doesn`t pass it`s M-O-T, I shall let you all know soon.

Thanks all, basketcase.
Biscuit
Deceased

Head Bearings, G2 CSR

Post by Biscuit »

More information! There are 28 balls, top and bottom, 56 in all, it looks as though you can get 29 balls in - DON'T.