fork slider end caps

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

fork slider end caps

Post by basketcase »

I`ve a problem with the r/h slider on my 1965 G2CSR in the fact that when tightening up the two nuts (gently),there was an almighty CRACK and oil poured from a split in the slider from the spindle up to the drain plug. I`ve been told that there are different sized end caps, one for the heavyweight at 11/16" and one for the lightweight at 3/4".Surely the problem lies with the slider and not the cap. Can anyone shed a little light on this and maybe help me out of this predicament please.
The same thing happened to the other one last year but I put that down to a little over exuberance when splitting the slider/stanchion.(I`d put the spindle in and was standing on it, pulling the stanchion upwards with a lot of force when it let go, covering my trainers and socks in fork oil...it was clean!)I now know that a little heat helps...
All helpful suggestions gratefully received, even sarcastic, sorry knowledgable comments by scholarful(?) members.
Basketcase.
Biscuit
Deceased

fork slider end caps

Post by Biscuit »

The bottom cap has the same part No. for heavyweights and the 250 CSR's. 350 lightweights are a different part No.

You said, I think, you clamped the spindle and stood on it to release the bush/oil seal. it reads as though you only clamped it in the side you were working on - surely not!. If you did that isn't exuberance, it's stupidity. The wheel must never be allowed to hang on one side without support.

basketcase

fork slider end caps

Post by basketcase »

No, no, no....the leg was out of the yokes, a replacement spindle(spare) was clamped in the bottom and I was trying to part the slider from the stanchion by brute force!! Not having been told about applying a little heat I was blind to the fact that this wasn`t going to happen.Now having rebuilt a couple of sets I am aware of how they come apart more easily having been shown a few minutes of blue flame from my blowlamp.The only problem being is that it usually wrecks the top bush in the process.
I am now waiting for Steven at AMC Classics to find a good replacement slider as my pocket money wont run to a shiney new one (or two) from JSL.
I`ll mention to him about the part no.s being the same for the h/w and l/w but different for the 350`s.
Biscuit
Deceased

fork slider end caps

Post by Biscuit »

'Stupidity' withdrawn then.