clutch drag

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

clutch drag

Post by basketcase »

I`ve set up the clutch on my G2 CSR as per the manual but I still experience drag when the bike is running, i.e. hard to engage gear and the bike trying to creep forward when engaged in gear. As the bike warms up the problem worsens until I have to stall the bike to engage neutral. The clutch plates are the originals, could they be past their best? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
bjork

clutch drag

Post by bjork »

As it's dragging, you need to make sure that the clutch is lifting enough and secondly that it is lifting square. If the spring tension is uneven the pressure plate cocks over to one side and causes the drag. Did you pull the clutch in and spin the mainshaft to check this? Easiest to engage top gear with bike on mainstand and rotate the back wheel by hand while holding clutch in with the other hand. If the plates are worn they will more likely slip than drag, if they are at all buckled then change them. Hope that is helpful and not just teaching you to suck eggs!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
basketcase

clutch drag

Post by basketcase »

Cheers Steve,I will attempt it this weekend. I am running with straight 50 oil in the chaincase, could this affect it in any way? It is what is recommended in the book, as a `friend` suggests using something thinner.
bjork

clutch drag

Post by bjork »

50 shouldn't give the instant dragging you have, it is a bit on the thick side for clutches though. I haven't worked on a lightweight since 1977 and have no manual to check. I would have thought that 20/50 was most likely to be recomended in that period? If the clutch case doesn't share it's oil with the gearbox or engine, I would be tempted to use something lightweight in there like ATF or 10/40 engine oil. Stick to something cheap and meant for bike engines, as lots of modern car oils have additives that will make a clutch slip. (and it won't cure the dragging either)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
wilko

clutch drag

Post by wilko »

Check the mainshaft for too much end play as well. Dugless
basketcase

clutch drag

Post by basketcase »

Looks like I`m going to be busy this weekend!! Sod the decorating!!

Cheers all, I`ll let you know how I get on.