G2 splitting crankcases

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Daveski

G2 splitting crankcases

Post by Daveski »

Hi all, I am having to rebuild the engine on my G2 and would like some help on splitting the crankcases [to remove broken bits of the barrel sleeve which got broken and fell inside]. There are a number of bolts and I dont know which ones are holding the crankcases together, my workshop manual is not much use as the engine diagram is so small no detail can be seen. Also cannot find the oil pump to remove it, the critter must there somewhere?, Any advice appreciated.
Cheers,Daveski. Jampot Member 17328
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
Don Madden

G2 splitting crankcases

Post by Don Madden »

You need a copy of the 1957-64 Service manual, which has good instructions on this engine. The manual is widely available & you can also access an electronic copy at:
http://archives.jampot.dk/

Navigate to Workshop Manuals & select the appropriate file.

I am in California but have no experience with the AMC lightweight models.

Cheers, Don.
bjork

G2 splitting crankcases

Post by bjork »

Don, I googled Accrington, Lancs. USA. but got nowhere? Is there really an Accrington in Lancashire in the USofA?
Sorry it's a bit off topic, but I just had to look for it!

Trying to redeem myself, I agree with Don that Daveski needs a better manual.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Don Madden

G2 splitting crankcases

Post by Don Madden »

Bjork, our address scheme uses house number, street name, town/city & state. There are a few exceptions for well known buildings on the no. & street.

All states are assigned a 2 letter code. In addition, a 5 or 9 digit "Zip Code" is assigned to all post offices. Some small communities have a post office if in a remote location even if too small to be a town.

All states are divided into counties or townships, except Luisianna, which calls the political divisions "parishes". This political unit is not used in our addresses.

There may be one or more Lancashires and/or Accringtons in the states as we use many British place names here, especially in the eastern areas settled by the Brits.

Out here in the West, Spanish names are common as the area was settled by Spain.

Native American names are very common, too as they are our First People, and had settled this land tens of thousands of years before the Europeans arrived.

You need to determine the state where Accrinton may be.

Cheers, Don.Edited by - Don Madden on 25 Jul 2008 01:00:41 AM

Added later: I did find Accrington, Lancashire in the UK, not far from Manchester. Wifey should be familiar with it as she is from Rochdale. Cheers, Don.Edited by - Don Madden on 25 Jul 2008 02:08:07 AM