Can't keep the oil in

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Biscuit
Deceased

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Biscuit »

I haven't studied this area in depth, but on the lightweight I worked on, ( yes only one!!!!!!) there seemed no way out for the oil that accumulated in the timing chest, apart from through the timing side shaft, could it be your suffering from oil build up here?

model26

Can't keep the oil in

Post by model26 »

Hi Locust,
I think it would be worth measuring the bore/piston, as I note you have changed the barrel and kept the piston. For a precise fit, the correct method is to re-bore to match the piston.

The other area is to check that the valve guides are not excessively worn.
paul knapp

Can't keep the oil in

Post by paul knapp »

Why was the cylinder re-bored and fitted with a new piston in the first place?
Was it because the engine was smoking back then, before the re-bore?
Perhaps the problem goes way back!
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

Hi everyone

This bike has had a total restoration, the engine was rebuilt with new bearings and crank etc, yes the bore was not bored to the piston (the proper way) so is looking like a possible cause.
Today ( Friday ) a nice member has offered me a barrel and piston to try, so it will be comming apart again.
As a matter of interest anyone who has the Real Classic look at page 15 Smokin' Bullet, this is something else.
Will let youall know how it goes soon.
Haven't had any offers for the bike yet.????

Locust
Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

How about this.

I have taken the head off, there is a nice shiny piston but in the valve cutouts is nice clean oil.
That is wrong it should be dry, yes???
So before I take the barrel off, I have looked at the cylinder head.

I have taken the valves out and the exhaust is caked in carbon, again wrong.

My cylinder head is the later type with no oil adgustable feed screw in the side, the oil comes up the cylinder into the rockers then out into the valve gear.

I have renewed the guides and valves but I have noticed that the oil lubricates the guide down a groove in the guide, which is about a 3/32" hole in other words there is too much oil going down the guide. Have I found the answer.?????

If that is the answer the only thing I think I can do is take the guides out and turn them round so that the oil groove is not at the top.

How much oil should the guides need.?????

Your thoughts on this please gentlemen.

Locust
chris kelly

Can't keep the oil in

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Graham,
My engine, 250. was 1966. It had an adjustable pointed screw in the cylinder head.

I think I remember someone on this Forum writing that the Factory forgot them on some cylinders ( )

Anyway, the Instruction Book states, '' Adjustment of Oil Feed . The internal flow of oil is controlled by fixed restrictions, with the exception of the oil feed to the Inlet valve guide, which is regulated by a needle pointed screw located in the cylinder head, etc , etc

The final sentence states, ''An excess of oil to the inlet valve guide will cause a smokey exhaust and heavy oil consumption ''

Under ''Excessive Oil Consumption '' the Handbook also states, ''maybe due to Badly worn , or stuck up , piston rings (Causing high pressure in the crankcase ) or

Worn valve stems ''

One more thing, for information, the oil filter should have the felt inside the cylinder body ( discussed on this forum ). At one time I received filters from the club like this...but I believe the club has put this right now. Doubt that this would contribute to your problem though.

'The oil pump forces oil through...A, B , C If you want me to quote this from the Handbook then tell me.

Best wishes,
Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
itma

Can't keep the oil in

Post by itma »

Taking my usual glum cynical and miserable view, but drawing on past experience, I would say that your problem starts and ends with the words...

" total restoration."

sorry.
Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

Itma can you elaborate, are you with me or against.???

Is the head I am useing no good, do I need the adjustable feed to the head.???

Chris
Are you refering to the Workshop Instrution Manual All Models 1957-1964 if so can you give me page numbers please

Locust
itma

Can't keep the oil in

Post by itma »

Its hard to say anything about the head over the ether.
All AMC singles have this feed, it is trouble free in my experience.
My point is, as always that is the standard of assembly that matters, I have lost count of the bikes I have seen ruined by "restoration"
If it were my bike it would all be in bits by now being double-checked.
Merlin

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Merlin »

My point is, as always that is the standard of assembly that matters, I have lost count of the bikes I have seen ruined by "restoration"
Quite correct itma I was indeed fortunate to buy a restored machine from a club member before I had any knowledge of you lot,what a treat it has turned out to be both the bike and you lot.
Cheers
Merlin.
ps keep cheerful.
Chemists do it with test tubes