Can't keep the oil in

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
chris kelly

Can't keep the oil in

Post by chris kelly »

Graham,

No, i don't think so This is called the 'Illustrated Instruction Book AJS, Model 14, Model 14 CSR Sports, Model 14 CS Scrambler, and the 350 Model 8 plus Late type versions including the 1965 supplement.''..it came from Bruce Main - Smith ... code Theseus / 756.

To my mind, it's like basic information you would get when you bought a bike new.Maybe your bike has lost its feed ! It's a needle pointed screw located in the cylinder head and secured by a locknut. In this publication , Illustration 3 shows the needle adjusting screw 'withdrawn ' from its position between the 'fins' maybe yours has not been refitted. Obviously, you shoud detect a small hole, high up between the fins if that is the case.

I do think , perhaps during the last year or so, some one on this site said their cylinder head was not drilled out for one !

Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

Chris
My head is not drilled out for the screw and locknut nor has it the other drillings inside the head for the lubrication of the guides, the only feed to the guides is via a groove down the guide to a hole in the side of the guide, this is the one I said was about 3/32" dia. which is allowing too much oil to the exhaust valve if you follow me.

Itma
I have restored about five bikes now (not all AMC) and even got into the last 10 of the Classic Bike of the year competition with my 1958 Triumph Thunderbird plus I have built a 7 style Kit Car so I think I know about restoring engines by now.

So is the head I have a standard head or a bum stear,.??????

Locust
itma

Can't keep the oil in

Post by itma »

sorry Locust I was assuming someone else had built the engine.
I am now lost as I have never seen this method of oiling the guides as you describe.
Maybe you would be better turning the guide round.
Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

Itma I'll class that as a partial apology thank you.

As I understand it the head I have is a later one, I can't think it is a factory reject with no oil ways, I am hoping that there is an AMC boffin out there who can tell me if this is so.???????

The idea of turning the guide round has accurred to me but it will still need some lub.

So I am going to look at a head (with screw adjustment) and compare.

Hasn't anyone got the same head as me, am I that different. (no Comment I hear you say)

Locust
Tolly

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Tolly »

I can re-call in the back of my mind reading something about a blanked off oilway, unfortunately I cannot remember what the outcome was. I have never seen one without the adjusting screw, I know if mine is not adjusted correctly it will burn oil worse than a 2 stroke. I have to have mine screwed in so far that it virtually stops the oil going to the rockers, it is that sensitive. If your head has no restriction I can only guess there is way too much oil getting up the top end.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

Tolly
I too recall seeing something regarding the blocked off screw position, but can't think where.

By the way that screw only restricts oil to the guides the rockers are fed straight though the barrel to the rocker cover, and then the oil drops down to the top of the head were it is metred via the screw to the in let guide, the exhaust guide is fed via a little depresion with a small hole in the bottom. that is the way the screw type head works but mine is not like that. I might copy that head and drill mine out.

Locust
wilko

Can't keep the oil in

Post by wilko »

I can't think of any other singles or twins that had individual feed to their guides, thus they probably realised in later years that it simply wasn't needed, ie the oil feed to the barrells on earlier singles etc they soon dropped when they didn't use wirewound pistons, maybe they simply gave the last models a fraction more stem- guide clearance and did away with it all. Drugless
Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

Right
I have to admit defeat, I have not got the machinery to drill out all the holes necessary to do this job, so have aquired another head (from a good kind member) so will get that vaporblasted. if the b****y thing smokes after that (has anyone got a gun) but if it doesn't I was going to buy everyone a drink, but I don't think that is practical.

I will of course let everyone know either way.

Locust
paul knapp

Can't keep the oil in

Post by paul knapp »

Can't quite work out, that if this oil hole has to be drilled now to supposedly stop the over oiling problem to the top end, why was it not done in 1966 when the new owner took delivery of it and it was found to be excessively smoking and chewing through the oil? After all, it now has done enough miles, without this drilling, to wear out and require overhauling. Why 42 years later?
Or am I missing something?

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

chris kelly

Can't keep the oil in

Post by chris kelly »

Graham,

Out of interest, what is your engine number ,please?

On this site, under ' Articles ' go to 'Technical Tips ' then to 'Lightweight Engines' by John Allen 1994.

He states, 'Later heads do not have this screw '

But my 1966 engine had it. The latest Supplementary List Spares List for 1962 , which I have, but have never seen a later one, for the Lightweights ,lists it.

Was there a phantom 'blocker offer ' in the factory. Was it ITMA, when he was there? The mystery deepens.All we want now is 'The Dick Barton, Special Agent ' music, for those who are old enough to have listened to that radio series for children !

Best wishes, Chris. ( )
'My cat can beat up your cat!'