Can't keep the oil in

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
chris kelly

Can't keep the oil in

Post by chris kelly »

Graham,

Out of interest, what is your engine number ,please?

On this site, under ' Articles ' go to 'Technical Tips ' then to 'Lightweight Engines' by John Allen 1994.

He states, 'Later heads do not have this screw '

But my 1966 engine had it. The latest Supplementary List Spares List for 1962 , which I have, but have never seen a later one, for the Lightweights ,lists it.

Was there a phantom 'blocker offer ' in the factory. Was it ITMA, when he was there? The mystery deepens.All we want now is 'The Dick Barton, Special Agent ' music, for those who are old enough to have listened to that radio series for children !

Best wishes, Chris. ( )
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

Chris
Will look at the Tec tips later.
Engine number is 14/CSR/13565 But that means nothing because this bike I got as a basket case so everything was from different machines ( the head included) so it might have been a factory reject as I said earlier, even the engine was in bits.

Do I understand that Tommy Handley used to work at Plumstead.???? (I was born in Plumstead) if so he should know if there was a head without oil feed, or was he the one that sent that head out without drilling it for me to find all these years later.???? Touche Itma.

Oh what good memories of Dick barton and Snowy I have, it was great before television wasn't it ??
I think this will answer Pauls question as well.

By the way Chris I am a cat lover so don't beat me up.??

Locust

Merlin

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Merlin »

Ref cat
No one's perfect.
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

Can't keep the oil in

Post by itma »

alas Locust, by the time I was at Plumstead it was almost totally down the pan, and the 250s were long off the radar.
I think that the idea re factory rejects is a bit of an urban myth.
Most of the blokes that were there long term were very proud of their handiwork, and unlikely to have let such a thing past.
Although of course there was always the odd one that got thru.
If you look in the photos there is bag o nails 250 which also seems to have no screw.
Frankly I am at a loss for suggestions here, especially over the ether.
It is the inlet we are discussing?
If so surely it would burn rather than exit the exhaust?
There is always the possibility of a casting flaw I suppose.
Of good sarf london stock myself; Bryants numerous around the greenwich area and maternal grandma was a Manchester, a noted and still extant family around there. Of costermonger beginnings I believe
Egor Rider

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Egor Rider »

Hi All,
It was me who had a simular problem with my ajs 14 csr 1966 a few yrs ago.If you look at "Post War Parts Pictures" page 3 picture 1 you will see the photo of my cyl head which also has never been drilled.Aparently this was the case with the later models.I have not completely cured the oil lose/smoke problem but it is 80% better. The bore was honed and new rings were fitted (there are TWO types of piston rings depending on type of piston . Speek to Tony at AMC spares

Tony Surbey, Steven Surbey & Linda Surbey
Telephone: (+44) 01462 811770
Fax: (+44) 01462 851035
spares@amcclassicspares.com

I also run my bike on SAE 50 oil, Bike still uses a bit but nothing like it did before. I hope this helps Mark.
Locust

Can't keep the oil in

Post by Locust »

Ken
I know the screw only affects the inlet, but the exhaust is fed by a depression and hole down to the guide, this I did not have but there was a groove that aloud oil to get to the hole in the guide, this I fear was too big and aloud too much oil to the valve stem.

Did you know Dennis Boney at Plumstead he was a mate of mine and we travelled England ,Scotland and Wales on our bikes, a fantastic holiday.

Locust