G2 Oil Leak

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Daveski

G2 Oil Leak

Post by Daveski »

After rebuilding my G2 engine and filling it with oil It seems to be leaking a fair bit of oil [which it didnt do before the rebuild] It is hard to see where it is leaking from because of the pressed steel 'gutter'that runs under the engine. There is a hole in the gutter to access the drain plug and this is whwere the oil is dripping from but it could be running along from anywhere down there. Is there a weak point on the G2 which is most likely to be the culprit?. Also I am using 20/50 oil now instead of straight 50 before [cant afford £30 for a tin of oil], maybe the thinner oil is escaping easier. Another question is should the clutch be covered in oil?, if so is there another oil tank apart from the main tank [filler on front R/H side of engine]. My clutch does not seem to be sitting in oil [or is it a splash feed?]. Any info appreciated. I dont fancy taking the engine out again.
Cheers, Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
davehutch

G2 Oil Leak

Post by davehutch »

Can’t advise you on the oil leak, but as far as should the clutch be covered in oil. Comes under this section of front chain lubrication.
The front chain is lubricated with engine oil filled to the front chain case. Which forms an oil bath. If the lower of the two slotted screwed caps on the chain case is removed, the oil level can be observed. The correct oil level is just above the bottom run of the primary chain. To top up, remove both slotted screwed caps and fill oil through the uppermost aperture, checking the oil level through the lower. A drain plug is situated immediately below the clutch assembly. If the chain case is drained, refill with 1 pint of engine oil.
Hope this helps Dave.
----Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Biscuit
Deceased

G2 Oil Leak

Post by Biscuit »

There is no easy way out of this, if the oil isn't coming from a badly sealed drain plug, then it is engine out and split the cases and start again. To ask the question 'is there another oil tank' would seem to imply that you didn't do the rebuild, if this is the case take it back to whoever rebuilt it.

basketcase

G2 Oil Leak

Post by basketcase »

Hi, my G2 CSR seemed to be leaking oil from the lower box section so I changed the washers on both sump plugs and it still leaked! Eventually found that it was leaking from the gearbox drain bolt, running down the footrest and collecting in the box section. Replaced the washer on the plug et voila! Didn`t stop it from leaking from the kickstart shaft or the gear change shaft though, even more jobs to do in the winter!
Hope this helps, basketcase.