G2 Transfer set, soak or peel?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Daveski

Post by Daveski »

Hello there, I have Just received a transfer set for my G2 from the club shop, there are no instructions with them, they do not seem to peel off like regular stickers do. Do I need to soak them in water? if so how do they stick on, do I need to use glue of some kind?. Any advice appreciated, I do not want to ruin them by trial and error.
Thanks, Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
jonhal

Post by jonhal »

They would be waterslide. Just soak in warm water untill they slide then again slide into place from the backing. Gently pat dry with a cloth from the centre to the edges, leave to dry. You should apply a light laquer or they will rub off.
Daveski

Post by Daveski »

Thanks for that info Jonhal, I had a feeling it was something along those lines but nice to have it confirmed. I am off a soaking now.
Cheers, Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
Daveski

Post by Daveski »

Yep, soaked them and slid them on, easy. Bit fiddly getting the creases out but L/H panel and rear mudguard 'Matchless' transfers done. Have to rub the old badge off the R/H panel before doing the other one.
Daveski
1961 Matchless G2
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

What is suitable as a light laquer for applying over the transfers? Would you just do the transfer and not the whole tank/gaurd etc.? thanks Peter
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

I painted over mine to seal them with marine varnish, covering the transfer and running over the edge on to the painted surface by around a millimeter following the outline. Best to do a small test first to make sure the varnish isn't going to react with the transfer and cause it to bubble.

Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I use "gold size" bought from a local artists supplies outlet. It's used for sealing gold leaf and doesn't react with the transfers. A tin at about £8 will be enough for a lifetimes restoration projects.
Peter Lecompte

Post by Peter Lecompte »

Hi Paul, would you have the brand of the marine varnish. If you know it works and are happy with it? I should be able to get some the next time I am in Brisbane. Cheers Peter
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

G'day Peter, I took only a few mills from a mates large 2lt pot. Don't know the brand. If you go to a 'hobby shop', they have small bottles of model paint, and ask what they use when sealing their models transfers they put on the boats, 'planes etc.
While you are there, get yourself a little bottle of black gloss enamel, to touch up the inevetable paint chips you'll get on your frame or guards.

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!