How wide is an outfit/combination.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
arkwright

Post by arkwright »

Daveski, I have just been out to the bike shed and measured my G80 outfit the overall width including handlebars are 64 inches the wheelbase is 47 inches wide that is with a VG21 Watsonan chassis and a body modelled on the Watsonian Avon I rebuilt the bike and built the body in 1988 and it is still going strong but it could do with some more grunt as I always ride with solos. Modern chairs seem to be wider wheel base wise but the right type of power delivery is better than weight in the chair, I only have tools and a battery in it. My first chair was an 18C AJS and a homemade chassis with a 33 inch wheelbase after a week on that I performed a perfect victory roll on a long lefthander when I had no power left to call on and ended upside down on the pavement,but this lot rarely lifes a wheel.
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

My dear wife loves our "Bender" sidecar!!She can sit in relative comfort with the G.P.S.-and the intercom,and guide me to the end of the universe!! There are advantages-you don't fall off so easily, you can carry lots more camping gear and if you have short legs life is much easier!! But I obviously will not convert some readers of this Forum!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
bjork

Post by bjork »

I'm converted, my G80 and Watsonian Avon sounds almost identical to yours Arkwright, even down to tools and battery location. I'm also wanting more grunt as well I keep saying I'll get a twin to fit the chair to, but can't seem to actually part with another bike to pay for it. Mind you, if any one has a suitable project bike to offer, I could be tempted to let the F650 BMW go/swap. Good bike but I'm not in love with it. Any takers
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Its blatently obvious that itma is also a member of the BGBMCC..Big Girls Blouse Motorcycle Club!
On road outfits are a giggle and turn more heads than a dayglo pink R1 with Akrabolik silencer, any day!
Off road outfits are even more fun, but, admittedly, even more deadly! Whats best is passing a solo Jap trail bike, IN the section at the MCC Edinburgh trial.. thats one thing that makes outfits great!
When youve got 2 boys, under 10, who both want to go out on a bike, it saves a lot of arguing..the 350 AJ didnt deserve that, so its going to be a Kwack GT550 with a chair. Only question is, painted in Lightning McQueen colours, or Optimus Prime?? (Ask yer grandchildren!)
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
paul knapp

Post by paul knapp »

quote: itma is also a member of the BGBMCC..Big Girls Blouse Motorcycle Club!

LOL!

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

itma

Post by itma »

Playing with a big girl in a blouse beats dragging about with a couple kids in a sidecar any day. In matter of fact also beats riding a bike

At least I think thats what I remember
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Being a somewhat younger man itma and still able to cut the mustard so to speak I can tell you that there is not a better pastime as is said ere abouts if God invented anything better he kept it for his self.
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

Post by itma »

In my yoof my old man was fond of telling me he was going to make a man out of me when he got me behind a cement mixer.

As the woman 6 doors down had beaten him to that task, I kept schtum, and it softened the blow

I can remember the 60s, happy days.
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

quote:
Playing with a big girl in a blouse beats dragging about with a couple kids in a sidecar any day. In matter of fact also beats riding a bike

At least I think thats what I remember

Ok..Ok..lets compromise...how about dragging a big girl in a blouse off somewhere quiet, in a sidecar?
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
itma

Post by itma »

In this weather?
with my back?