Battery volts fluctuating G2

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
paul miles

Post by paul miles »

Hi all,
After changing my battery I thought I would double check the voltage across the battery with the bike running, oh dear!... not to stable.
On tickover it fluctuates wildly between 6 & 10 volts all the time,increasing the engine speed of the bike doesn`t make much difference,the ammeter shows a charge of about 1 - 2 amps when riding,slightly more when the lights are on, now as an owner of several Jap bikes I know that voltage is usually stable around a couple of volts above the normal battery output, is this also the case with Brit singles????
If it is the same, would I be right in saying that the regulator may be playing up? possibly dodgy earth or poor wiring connection... etc etc etc
Your views and help as always is most welcome
Regards
paul M
PS Apologies for putting this also in general chat....Oh the joys of nightwork Doh
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Paul
You wrote "After CHANGING my battery". Did you mean to write "After CHARGING.... " etc ?
I assume it's a 6v system - i.e. with a 6v battery.
Do you use a digital or an analogue voltmeter?
Do you actually have a problem (i.e battery going flat etc) or are you just being paranoid??

'Cos, if it aint broke...... so forth
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
paul miles

Post by paul miles »

Hi,
After "changing" my battery. My last one only lasted about 8 months when at cell went down (Only showing 4.2 volts), I didnt think to check my battery voltage before as I thought that it failed because it was a cheapo one just to get me (& my bike)started, this one is a Varta so I thought I would check the voltage so as not to cook it.It may be possible that the power being put back into the battery was what bugge*ed my last one in the first place and not as I thought because of a quality issue?????
The volt meter is digital set to 20v for testing.
It is as you have guessed from the above a 6 volt system.
Regards
Paul M
Dougie

Post by Dougie »

Paul, another tip is not to take readings from a freshly charged battery. You shoud always let it "rest" for 24 hours after charging before attempting to take readings.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
smsxr05

Post by smsxr05 »

Check that the windings on the alternator have not shorted to earth, a common problem on this model.
Sonof.