Oil leak, but only when moving

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
mn757

Post by mn757 »

Hi all,

Having now got my G2 running again, I find that there is a large oil leak (too big to consider riding it) which only occurs when the bike is physically moving. When sat idling, there is no leakage. It looks like the oil is being thrown onto the chain from somewhere, and the chain is throwing it everywhere else.

As it's only when moving, I'm guessing it's a gearbox leak rather than from the engine. Are there any known weaknesses in terms of seals, and how easy are they to replace ?

many thanks

Martin.
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

Hi mn757,I had this problem with my G2 CSR. You`ll find there is a leak on the rear of the gearbox, behind the sprocket. It`s a core plug to the rear of one of the gear main shafts. I fixed mine by draining the `box of oil, cleaning the offending plug with white spirit then gunging the whole thing with araldite. Not for the purists among us but who cares, it worked! (and you can`t see it).
Cheers, basketcase.
mn757

Post by mn757 »

thanks for the advice, I'll take it apart this weekend and give it some araldite treatment. I'd like to keep it on the road this summer and perhaps over the winter I'll look at replacing the plug.

many thanks for your help.

Martin.