Matchless G2 1936

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Nomad_OLD

Matchless G2 1936

Post by Nomad_OLD »

Hi,

I have sourced through the club (spider/bill dorking) a pre war Matchless G2. I am currently getting it to an oily rag/mot'able state. Having de-seized the engine, draining all fluids, flushing through & refilling I'm having problems with air in the oilways.
Literature is very scarce on the ground.
My queries are:

1/ Is there a gauze/material filter in this engine?

2/Is there a bleed valve on the oil feed return?

I'll be posting alot more questions as time goes on.

Regards

Nomad
itma

Matchless G2 1936

Post by itma »

what do you mean by air in the oilways?
If its the bubbly action of the oil coming out of the return pipe in the tank, its meant to be like that, and all is OK
there is an oil filter inthe oil tank under the chrome cap.
rex.webb

Matchless G2 1936

Post by rex.webb »

YES it,s because there is a larger return pump that is pushing the oil back to the tank.Thus it collects all the oil and some air as well.
Ride with Care and Live long.
r w webb
bjork

Matchless G2 1936

Post by bjork »

Popped over to see Nomad and his G2 this afternoon and helped him get it started. It's a coil ignition (Miller) model, with manual advance retard. That all works ok, but I couldn't work out how you set the timing? On max adavance setting, it is only about 1/8" BTDC. When he gets his finger out and tries BMS for a handbook, it will hopefully tell us all he needs to know.
On my way home though, it occurred to me that maybe you take the points cam off its spindle to reset the timing? Anybody know? Ken??? Anyone got a hand book or can copy him one?
Oh yes, his oil is all ok too, but you knew that already, didn't you?
You'll also be pleased to know that he has taken the oily rag method very seriously, and a very original example (I reckon anyway) will soon be back on the road.
Pictures, Kev, pictures!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
itma

Matchless G2 1936

Post by itma »

Is it a thing with points on the timing cover or in the end of the Miller dynamo?
Blowed if I know on this one, I avoided Miller coil ignition like the plague.

The Pearson book by Neill 1933-on models barely mentions the G2 except in passing, nothing at all about miller ignition[probably too embarrassed!]Edited by - itma on 18 May 2009 9:37:37 PM

disregard all above Neill AJS book same era has this........

1935-1938 SINGLE-CYLINDER MODELS
Ignition Timing
Before checking or setting ignition timing, first check contact-breaker gap. For coil-ignition models, the 'gap should be 0-018 in., and 0-012 in. for magneto models.
Control lever fully advanced.

Timing 5/16 BTDC
To re-time ignition with coil-ignition models remove the bakelite cap covering contact-breaker. Slacken screw securing cam. A slot is machined in the rim of the cam, and to release the cam from its taper shaft, use a small punch operated in the slot provided, and give the punch a light tap. A bolt with a thread 3/8 in. X 20 T.P.I, can be utilised to remove the cam. Position the engine as previously described, and rotate cam in an anti-clockwise direction until contact points are just about separate. Use a piece of cigarette paper inserted between points to determine actual point of opening. When a magneto is fitted, proceed as follows:— Take away the magneto chain-case cover, release nut securing magneto chain sprocket on engine end—one or two turns will suffice. Use a tyre-lever with one end bent at 90 degrees, and lever the sprocket off its shaft. Position engine according to model, then set contact points as with coil-ignition models.
Edited by - itma on 18 May 2009 10:43:19 PM
bjork

Matchless G2 1936

Post by bjork »

Hi Ken, knew I could rely on you! Could also say 'why didn't I do a proper search first????'
Just after I posted that, I remembered to look at Christians Archives, and guess what? yes, it's there too. E-mailed it to Kev as well.
It is the points on the timing cover type and all Miller, which is a new 'field' to me. Luckily it seems fairly low mileage and not too messed about with so far. Should be a good chance of getting it all going easily enough. Lucky blighter.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Nomad_OLD

Matchless G2 1936

Post by Nomad_OLD »

Nomad_OLD

Matchless G2 1936

Post by Nomad_OLD »

Hi to all ,
Thanks for all comments and advice,Bjork (Steve) has asked me to post a few pics.Have a ponder and give me your thoughts.I've put them in new pictures section.
Nomad.