G2 Cutting Out

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Chris01

G2 Cutting Out

Post by Chris01 »

Hi
I wondered if anyone has any suggestions on this. My Dads G2 starts first kick but will cut out when it gets warm a few miles down the road and wont re-start. Leave it alone for 20 mins and it will start first kick again. Any pointers as to where the problem may be would be gratefully received! Thanks, Chris.
wilko

G2 Cutting Out

Post by wilko »

Does it backfire when it starts to die? If so go for a condenser. The other obvious thing is blocked banjo filter on top of fuel bowl .
paul knapp

G2 Cutting Out

Post by paul knapp »

Blocked fuel tank cap vent hole?
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

SPRIDDLER

G2 Cutting Out

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Chris.
Has the bike been unused for a while? If so, how long?
Does it have compression when you try to restart it immediately after it has cut out?
You could try disconnecting the fuel pipe from the tank and opening the tap allowing petrol to run from the tank into a container to check if there's a continuous flow.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Chris01

G2 Cutting Out

Post by Chris01 »

Thanks for the input chaps. Very much appreciated.
When it dies there is no backfire or any spluttering. There is plenty of compression all the time, even immediately after cutting out. The fuel tank cap vent hole is OK. I haven't checked the banjo filter so will do that now. Thanks again....
pto

G2 Cutting Out

Post by pto »

The first thing to do is find out if the problem is Fuel or Ignition, take the bike for a run, as soon as it stops take out the spark plug, connect the ht lead back on the plug and rest the plug on the engine, kick the engine over and watch if the plug has a spark. Once we know that we will have a much better idea where the fault is.
Chris01

G2 Cutting Out

Post by Chris01 »

Thanks - yes after cut out there is still a spark, possibly not as strong as normal (although that is debatable). I think it may be worth changing the condensor as per a suggestion from here just in case......?
chris kelly

G2 Cutting Out

Post by chris kelly »

Hi,

Might be worthwhile looking at your spark plug type if all the above fails.

If your G2 / 14 is standard , years 1958 to 1963 the original designation is KLG FE80.

My AJS 14 CSR, year 1966 had exactly the symptoms you describe. Local driving.... then traffic lights.... then stop. Would not start. When cooled.. . start.

Designated plug...FE220.

Eventually, I worked out , take some spare plugs, ... I put in a FE80. It started straight away.

My engine had been rebuilt at that time, etc and I had put in the designated plug ( Hot plug / cool plug situation ) as my engine had a bit more ''sportiness'' but I hadn't really considered that the engine was still old.

So I discovered that the ''wrong '' plug was best.

If you haven't plug equivalence charts we can help.

The plugs designated across the G2/14 , CS, CSR range of bikes were.... from years 1958 to 1966 ... KLG FE80 and FE220.
Chris
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
Chris01

G2 Cutting Out

Post by Chris01 »

That is very interesting - I will explore and report back! Thanks very much....
Tolly

G2 Cutting Out

Post by Tolly »

Another thought is the coil, is it over heating? They are usually oil filled and if, through vibration, the outer case has a small hole and the cooling oil leaks out it gives the symptoms you have.Edited by - Tolly on 15 Jul 2009 2:36:39 PM

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.