6 to 12volt

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
MikeM.

6 to 12volt

Post by MikeM. »

When I put my Twingle together 30+ years ago I used a wiring diagram from Freddie Neil's twin book, I used the 12v diagram for the US market twin with a magneto. The alternater was the standard 6v type used in 1960 but I had no problems using it in conjuntion with 12v bulbs and battery. Last year I had to replace the alternater and although it is still a 6V three wire system I now run a 12v 60/55w headlamp bulb without any problems.
Groily

6 to 12volt

Post by Groily »

Is what I do with a B*A single too Mike. Works a treat - but I did get a 2 wire stator and a reg/rectifier from Goffie. Best electrics I've got. Shame that a mere 350cc having the world's best lights is a bit of a waste!
Pretty well all alternator wiring diagrams are the same in general plan (same as all dynamo ones are). Think I vaguely followed the plan for some Triumph or other when doing my alternator job.
For my money, the best thing about the 2 wire jobs is you never have to worry about the switch gear cutting coils in and out once there's a proper regulator in place. All the switch has to do is turn the darn lights and ignition on. Same if the 3 wire outputs are reduced to 2 by doubling up the right pair, per threads here and everywhere else. And going 12v is a doddle, making bulbs easy, the general wiring less sensitive to poor connections/damp etc, and reducing the current flowing all over the place. The fewer the amps flying around, the better in my view.
rex.webb

6 to 12volt

Post by rex.webb »

I once wrote a piece for the "Fenrunners News" on our bikes using 6Volts.
The argument was that a 6Volt system uses less energy and a Smaller Battery.
Thus we are doing our part for the "ENVIOREMENT" ?
Any one want to agree with me ?
Ride with Care and Live Long.
r w webb
Merlin

6 to 12volt

Post by Merlin »

Thus we are doing our part for the "ENVIOREMENT"

Before we see any improvement most of us will be dead along with our bikes so just carry on doing whatever you are doing,only do it more often.
Chemists do it with test tubes
jonhal

6 to 12volt

Post by jonhal »

I have found that 6v halogen rear light bulbs blow easily. This happened on my Arrow, and a 12v on my Harris. I put it down to vibration. Any ideas on this. Both bulbs came from Paul Goff by the way.
Have found high powered bulbs in Halfords that are just as bright and don't blow. Not much use for 6v though
Samuel

6 to 12volt

Post by Samuel »

I use an LED stop / tail light set from Paul Goff on my G80 rigid and had no problems whatsoever in nearly 3 years useage. Highly recommended.
Sam
alanjennings

6 to 12volt

Post by alanjennings »

Johnny B.- front indicators thru' headlamp pivots-rear more difficult! I have soft luggage set well back to give my dearest wife/pillion room, so for me the best solution was to affix them to the rear number plate-vibration has not been a problem-or with bulbs, Johnal, I would have thought me model 20 vibrated as much as an "arrow" or a "Harris?"
Alan [Morini] Jennings
jonhal

6 to 12volt

Post by jonhal »

quote:
Johnal, I would have thought me model 20 vibrated as much as an "arrow" or a "Harris?"

Good point. I couldn't work out why so assumed vibration. Have no problem with normal bulbs. Dare I say poor quality from the supplier