6 to 12volt

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
theroof

6 to 12volt

Post by theroof »

can any one talk me through, converting my 1961 G2 from 6volt too 12volt and what parts I will need. Thanks theroof.
R.Grover
Eric

6 to 12volt

Post by Eric »

With the availability of 6v Halogen headlight bulbs and 6v low drain LED stop/tail & others think very carefully about changing to 12 volt.

Most people were doing it to get better lighting but than can be done now without changing.
theroof

6 to 12volt

Post by theroof »

Thanks for that Eric, only considering because I`m having difficulty obtaining 2 6volt 3amp tail light bulbs ( thats whats in at the moment)
R.Grover
Eric

6 to 12volt

Post by Eric »

See this site for all sorts of bulbs including the 6v Halogens I have already mentioned.

Click Here for the link
alanjennings

6 to 12volt

Post by alanjennings »

I agree with Eric -Paul Goff is your answer {no relation!} I'm well pleased with my 6 volt system-I run indicators as well!-Good wiring is essential-and a good battery-why spend money unnecessarily?
Alan [Morini] Jennings
56G80S

6 to 12volt

Post by 56G80S »

I concur with this view - planning to fit indicators before long too.

Alan - I was intending replacing switch gear with the simplest of Paul's combined ones, the torpedo lights with indicators on stalks and fit the rear ones on where the bolts for the QD rear wheel part of the mudguard fit rather than on the rear carrier, which I thought might vibrate more - what did you do?

Johnny B
mike.dowling

6 to 12volt

Post by mike.dowling »

Hi
I've converted both my 1960 model 16 and a Francis barnett 250 AMC 2 stroke to 12 volt, It makes every thing so much easier instead of all the complicated wiring for emergency starting with a flat battery etc, I can run both of mine with or without a battery and since I've converted I have had no problems. There is a wiring diagram available in the technical help section but also if you check the Lucas catologue in the archives it shows the addition of the capacitor which allows you to run without a battery.
Paul Goff do a regulator/Rectifier but Tricor do a regulator/rectifier with a built in capacitor.
Jampot spares also do the Zenor diode you need to do the conversion.
I've used the Zenor diode + the capacitor and ther Paul Goff unit + capacitor but not the Tricor unit. 12 volts + the new bulbs its like riding in daylight.
Regards
Mike d.
SPRIDDLER

6 to 12volt

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Go to 'Frequent Questions' on this site and there's everything you need to know about this frequently asked question which crops up frequently.

Errrr, (wiping egg from unsmug face), just tried the posting by Eamonn in that link in 'Frequent Questions' which has the subject - '12 v conversion' - and it takes me round in circles, returning me to the FAQ post (frequently) which is where I started from.

EAMONNNNNN! Hellllp!!Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 24 Oct 2009 9:49:58 PM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Tolly

6 to 12volt

Post by Tolly »

Did you click on the correct one Nev? I clicked on the last one which refers to lightweights and it brings up a new tab in pdf. Maybe it's time for matron's visit!!

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SPRIDDLER

6 to 12volt

Post by SPRIDDLER »

No I clicked on the first one '12 volt conversion' - Eamonn's post/link of 15 Feb '08 and it gets me into a loop - i.e keeps bringing me back round the same two subject titles without opening the actual info...

Hadn't noticed that 'theroof' had a lightweight so he'll find what he needs with the Lightweight 6 - 12v conversion info given in the FAQ's as you say.
(Matron's already been; I'm working on my laptop under the blankets!)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'