Lightweight camshaft housing oilway

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Phamiltoneddy

Post by Phamiltoneddy »

My first post so hello everyone.
I have stripped my January 1965 AJS model 14CSR engine to find the reason for its heavy oil consumption. The strip-down revealed that the piston had been damaged by a partial seizure. This seems to be the main reason for the problem.
However, when I looked closely at the camshaft housing, I found a puzzling feature. The casting appears to have been designed to incorporate a drilled oilway to supply oil to the small timing gear pinion from a drilled hole in the oil pump plunger tunnel in the crankcase. The crankcase has been drilled and there is a corresponding hole in the camshaft housing gasket but there is no drilled oilway in the housing.
It seems most likely that at some stage the factory stopped drilling the oilway in the housing because they thought lubrication of the timing gears was sufficient without it. Can someone please confirm this and re-assure me that I have not got a rogue housing that the factory forgot to drill?
The position where I would expect the drilling to be is in the top right of the housing shown in the photograph.

[IMG]http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24 ... 110031.jpg[/IMG]
basketcase

Post by basketcase »

Hi Pat,
looking at the spare housing that I have there is a hole drilled at the six o`clock position(according to the position in your photo) in the housing, where the cam wheel fits, and a groove running around the bronze bush.
Hope that this helps.
Basketcase.
Phamiltoneddy

Post by Phamiltoneddy »

Thanks for your comments. Here is another photo with a red dot on the housing where I would expect an oilway to be drilled but which is not drilled on my example. Is your housing drilled in that position, basketcase?

[IMG]http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu24 ... 280069.jpg[/IMG]
beesy

Post by beesy »

the one on my model 8 is not drilled,if that is of any help.