G2 Lightweight Speedo - over enthusiastic

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
sej

Post by sej »

Hi, my G2 speedo has decided to show speeds of 20 to 30 mph when bike is just wheeled along! When ridden fairly slowly it went right round to the stopper! Anyone had a similar problem or a good idea what the problem may be please? Many Thanks Steve
bikerisme

Post by bikerisme »

hi sej.you could try greasing the inner cable except the last 6 inches or so at the speedo end if its dry it tends to stick this wont cost nothing to try if not then test the speedo head
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi sej, there was a very interesting article in the Jampot the other month that emphasised the importance of the length of the inner where it enters the speedo head. Some replacement cables had the inner too long. Have you recently changed the cable/inner? Maybe worth checking this?
Regards KK
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
sej

Post by sej »

Hi Bikerisme and KK
Thanks very much for replies.
The cable has been back on for a couple of years when I finished putting the bike back together, though has not been greased in that time. The cable is over 30 years old, in fact it is possibly the original one. The speedo has now stopped at 30 mph, so possibly time to do some further investigation.
Thanks again for the suggestions I will give them a try.
All the best
Steve