G2 voltage regulater

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
theroof

G2 voltage regulater

Post by theroof »

Hi,can anyone advise me on whether I have bought the corect voltage regulater supstitute part, for my G2 1961. the one fitted has three connections,AC white,DC- brown and AC green. The new one has four spade connections,AC, pos+, AC and neg-. possibly one of theese is just to earth.(I would enclose a photo showing both side by side if I knew how to upload one)if this is correct then which wires should go to where.hopeully this will stop my bulbs from blowing. Thanks a lot,the roof.
R.Grover
Groily

G2 voltage regulater

Post by Groily »

Hi the roof,
You've bought a rectifier and it should be fine.
The AC leads - from the alternator - went either side (or top and bottom if mounted in that plane) on old Lucas-style rectifiers which had three spades sticking out radially and used the mounting screw as the earth (the middle spade was for the dc output). On the 4 spade one I think you've got, the ac leads go opposite corners. Doesn't matter which way round. The - should be the dc terminal and goes to the battery via probably the switch, and + is to earth. Assuming your bike is positive earth.

A rectifier only converts ac output to dc, it doesn't regulate voltage per se.

Knowing nothing about G2 switchgear, is there a third wire from the alternator which goes direct to the switch? In which case the 'regulation' is done simply by controlling the alternator's output via the switch and leaving it to the battery to suck up any pain as the revs rise and the alternator delivers more and more juice. With the switch in headlight on mode, all the alternator coils chuck out oomph, with the lights off the output is part-suppressed to provide enough for ignition - and avoid overcharging - in theory.
If there are only 2 wires on the alternator you've got on there, or one pair of the three has been doubled up to the rectifier to provide constant full output, you should also have a zener diode mounted on a heat sink to get rid of excess output. A modern electronic box from such as Podtronics is also an option, to rectify and regulate all in one.
If you have a '2 wire' alternator with a simple rectifier only, the battery won't stand a chance and the ammeter will show some serious rates of charge!! If the new rectifier doesn't fix things - it probably will if the old one wasn't doing its job - I'd check these things out next in pursuit of the bulb blowing problem. Worth also ensuring the battery is still OK . . .
Best of luck.