G2 front brake

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
theroof

G2 front brake

Post by theroof »

slight dilema,1961 G2, what side when sat on the bike should the brake drum be on, at the moment mine is on the left hand side but I have seen an identical bike and year with the brake drum on the right hand side, which is correct? thanks Ray.
R.Grover
Eamonn
Webmaster

G2 front brake

Post by Eamonn »

Take a look at the following technical articles:

reversal

Stay breakage

Looking through the gallery, the majority have the brake actuator mechanism on the nearside of the bike - the two examples of 1965 CSRs have the mechanism on the offside.

Perhaps others can contribute to which is the "correct" position?
Corners like a Lego man
Duncan

G2 front brake

Post by Duncan »

Raymond, looking through the Bacon ‘Post-War Restoration’ book all the G2 models and almost all other pre roadholder models, with the exception of a few competition model pictures, have the front brake plate on the drive side (left hand as sat on the bike).

I believe the torque arm needs to operate in tension (pulled) as it may flex if used in compression (squashed), but I can not support that with any reference material.
theroof

G2 front brake

Post by theroof »

thanks for your replys, I`ll leave it well alone then. Ray.
R.Grover
RAY BOWMAN

G2 front brake

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

I have a G2 csr 1965, the front wheel is
fitted with a BHC hub with the brake on the
offside. Is your G2 fitted with the
Lightweight forks?.
mike.dowling

G2 front brake

Post by mike.dowling »

Hi
Your G2 should have the lightweight forks as also fitted to James Francis Barnett and the Niorton jubilee, They do not have a torque arm as there is a lug which locates on a boss on the fork leg. It appears the brake has been tried on the left and the right but I have been assured in the past it is better fitted on the left hand side as you get a better pull with the brake cable if you route it correctly through the left hand hole in the top yoke.
Regards
Mike d.
Tolly

G2 front brake

Post by Tolly »

The brake actuator lever should be on the left as you sit on the bike, near side, drive side, same side as the foot brake lever for rear brake.
You will have trouble if you fit it any other way, this applies to the G2 and the G5.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.