Lightweight Primary Chain Cover

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I'm just completing the last few jobs on a Model 14 engine rebuild. When I dismantled the engine it was oiled cooled externally and stuck together with Red Hermetite!
Looking at the primary chain cover there are some very narrow and some very wide surfaces to be sealed. The paper gasket supplied in the gasket set is flimsy to say the least.
I think I would put more trust in a sealing compound rather than the gasket.
Any suggestions as to the best product to use - not the "red stuff" of course!Edited by - Stuoyb on 22 Apr 2010 5:08:58 PM
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

wellseal works fine
Roy
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

can you use wellseal in place of a gasket? I use it as a gasket seal similar to hermitite, I think Stuart is talking about a silicone seal, is this correct?, will wellseal do the same as silicone? kind regards
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I'm loathe to use the gasket and am looking to use a sealant only that will maybe cope with any imperfections in the mating surfaces. The cover appears to had had 42 years of misuse.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Clear silicone works fine Stu.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have used hermatite instant gasket in the past and it does work fine, unfortunately its a lovely shade of blue! as it is probably only an expensively tubed silicone, ordinary clear silicone, as ajs/c/n says, would probably work just as good, DO'NT ALLOW ANY SILICONE NEAR ANY OILWAYS !!!!! kind regards
itma

Post by itma »

Use Wellseal and the gasket, but use the Wellseal on the inner surface and grease on the outer.
Wellseal will provide a sealed joint between two sound surfaces without a gasket, viz crankcases.
A thick gasket does not mean it will seal any better and there is no sealant that will compensate for a badly damaged joint face
[well, araldite might].