Matchless G2?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cherrymetal

Matchless G2?

Post by cherrymetal »

Hi all,
I've just bought what I'm told is a Matchless G2, and have joined the club!

I have no documents with it, but the frame number is 14743 and the engine number 62/G2 11245. Does this tie up as a G2 and if so what year?

I have a registration number for it and have contacted the DVLA about the V765 etc, in order to retain the number, but until then I just wondered if anyone could confirm any more info before I send the forms into the club?

Here's some pics http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx85 ... less_1.jpg
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx85 ... less_3.jpg
Best regards
Geoff
Geoff
itma

Matchless G2?

Post by itma »

KTA re last issued nov 1961 in Devon so it looks as if 1962 is correct. [years overlapped]

G2 means what it says on the tin.

good luck with such a major project and you score points for joining the club rather than just coming here picking the forum brain cell and buggering off again.
cherrymetal

Matchless G2?

Post by cherrymetal »

Thanks, am hoping to get to one of the local section meetings soon, and start picking some brains!
Geoff
Jos

Matchless G2?

Post by Jos »

If that is the original seat - keep it! and get it recovered.
The originals were made from Dunlopillo foam and are about as luxurious as m/c seats get :) good luck
cherrymetal

Matchless G2?

Post by cherrymetal »

I don't think it is the original seat. I think its on the wrong way round anyway, and it has had a bracket welded onto the mudguard to mount it. The front mount of the seat has a sprung loaded quick release pin, but nowhere for it to engage, so I don't think its right. I've seen some seats on ebay, but they aren't too specific about which models they are for, do you think they would fit the G2?
Geoff
stevie

Matchless G2?

Post by stevie »

Hi Geoff and welcome!
I would get hold of the original parts list before buying anything, even on fleabay!
The club spares dept (jampot - link on the home page) is worth a call they keep some s/hand stuff, or you could try Stephen Surby at AMC Classics (google for the address - I've lost the link for the moment)
Someone will, no doubt, follow suit with some other addresses.
The club archives are an excellent resource too.
I'll post a couple of links for you when I find them.
Best of luck and keep us posted!
Regards
Steve
If a man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him is he still wrong?
stevie

Matchless G2?

Post by stevie »

If a man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him is he still wrong?
cherrymetal

Matchless G2?

Post by cherrymetal »

Thanks for the info, very useful! I'm going to need all the help I can get as all I've had (except a Garelli & an MZ) up till now has been japanese, but I have grown up with my Dads British bikes and Morgans, so am not completely green.

The bike appears to be mostly complete, except the speedo, headlight, ammeter and a couple of other things - I think I'll need a new seat!.

Could someone please take a pic or describe how the seat should be mounted so I can be sure that the seat on mine is wrong?

Once I've got the registration sorted, I think I'm gonna strip it down and get the wheels rebuilt (funds permitting!) first, then work my way through the rest bit at a time.
Geoff
itma

Matchless G2?

Post by itma »

my way would be to sort the motor first.
that could easily set you back 500 sobs, and th e wheels will swallow another 200 unless you feel up to lacing them yourself.

see if you can find a copy of Radcos Vintage motorcyclists workshop for the best guide to wheel building.
what branch of ingilrearing are you in?
cherrymetal

Matchless G2?

Post by cherrymetal »

I just thought if I get the frame and wheels done, I can start some rebuild and have something visual to show for it, which will keep the interest up!
Where's best for wheel building? Most places I've looked where closer to £300 than £200, does that sound right?

I work for Rolls-Royce on aero engines, so can get some things done at work, but no where near as much as we once could!
Geoff