Matchless G2?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
CharlesDP

Matchless G2?

Post by CharlesDP »

Geoff, I am just about to finish rebuilding a Model 14 AJS, one thing I found is too keep taking photos, even if you think you will remember - you won't and the photos that you will find in mags. & w/shop manuals are pitiful.
GOLDSTAR

Matchless G2?

Post by GOLDSTAR »

have a go lacing your wheels yourself, take digital photo's of the pattern and then enlarge, measure any off set, someone here will tell you if there is any, if your not happy with the result have them trued professionally, save you at least £100 per wheel I should think, and what satisfaction?. kind regards ps I have Rolls Royce shares so do'nt rip them off to much,Edited by - GOLDSTAR on 28 Apr 2010 6:17:58 PM
itma

Matchless G2?

Post by itma »

wheel building is scary expensive; have a look in the recommendations section.
last ones I had done, about 2 centurys ago were done by the guy near Salisbury, forget his name.
Put in for plenty of overtime, the cost of this rebuild will frighten you when you add it all up or cost it out.

Its not the most sought after of bikes should you not want to keep it.

the value comes from the width of the grin on your face when its finished.[or the tears]
theroof

Matchless G2?

Post by theroof »

Hi Geoff, there should be two bolts pertruding through the rear of the seat and just where the mudguard fastens to the frame about 2" away is a lug welded either side to the frame where theese bolts drop through. The front of the seat slots between a bolt through the frame where it meets the tank (like a fork opening ).If you still need photos then I will remove my seat and take some.Ray.
R.Grover
Janet

Matchless G2?

Post by Janet »

quote:
my way would be to sort the motor first. My thought exactly. The rest will polish out.

quote: see if you can find a copy of Radcos Vintage motorcyclists workshop for the best guide to wheel building. Have you seen the prices they're asking for those books? It made me giddy thinking about it.
itma

Matchless G2?

Post by itma »

nice people get a scan of mine free.

then again do I know any nice people??
do any nice people know me?

I believe someone has put a scan of all of it on the interweb somewhere. Possibly the VMCC but they'll charge you anyway.

It looks as if its missing its rear chainguard if so there is one up on the universal provider

ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AJS-Matchless-250 ... 88beEdited by - itma on 28 Apr 2010 9:06:32 PM
Don Madden

Matchless G2?

Post by Don Madden »

I'm nice, Except when I feel grumpy, Cheers, Don.
cherrymetal

Matchless G2?

Post by cherrymetal »

Well 2 1/2 years later on, the Matchless having just sat in the shed untouched, I finally got round to tinkering with it and got it running today! First time in about 30 years I believe. Actually started pretty easily, a bit of a tinker with the wiring (made it more direct) and borrowed a battery from a chap at work. I had to free up the points, re-set the gap and timing and hey presto! Not sure if the alternator is doing its job quite as it should, the revs dropped right down when I disconnected the battery. I'm running it on a 389 Amal monobloc from a James Commodore at the mo (the original carb has the threads stripped on the top ring/nut thing, and the choke slide is missing). But now its time to pull it all apart (now that I know the engine runs, and is not at all rattly!) and start the restoration!! Here's a vid of it running
Geoff