G2 Oil pump

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
John Jarrett

G2 Oil pump

Post by John Jarrett »

Don't you hate it when you know you have seen something and you can't find it.
I am in the process of rebuilding a 1960 G2CS engine. The oil pump that came with the engine is damaged on the teeth that engage with the worm gear.
I found another G2 pump in better condition, however, it has an additional small hole drilled in the pump (small end) not on the pump originally with the engine.

I am sure that I have seen some pictures somewhere that describe the differences between the various pumps. I seem to remember it was to differentiate the heavyweight from the lightweight pumps marked G2.

Until I came across this difference between two pumps marked G2, I didn't know that there were any different versions of the lighweight pump.... Can anyone help?
Many thanks,
John
chris kelly

G2 Oil pump

Post by chris kelly »

From 'Bacon'

''The light singles had their own set of reciprocating parts which served all models and years.''

This looks to confirm what you say above.
Light singles ( includes the model 8 / G5 )
1960 spares list. As stated.

1961 Supplementary List. No changes listed.

1962 No doubt trivial but in the interest of trying to help,

000178 Washer for locating screw Q1. All
Remainder of 14 S and 14 CSR as 14.

Another article on the lightweights ( at the time ) says the oil pump is similar in design and operation to those fitted to the other AJS and Matchless singles. ( There is then a description of how the oil is picked up etc )

Not a lot I know but perhaps some one else can comment.

Chris
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
T

G2 Oil pump

Post by T »

i think the CSR type is longer , and if used on the early engines might block off a hole in the cases . one type is stamped on the end , but i can't remember which offhand .Edited by - T on 01 Jun 2010 03:09:07 AM