Removing the Automatic Ignition Advance Mechanism

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
1923richard

Post by 1923richard »

Ohh no. Nothing works. No spark and therefore no running motor. Now I have removed breaker points and everything including aut. advance ignition and all other parts in the "hole"
I got hold of a Sparx electronic ignition and am trying to fit that. Now comes the difficult part. The rod inside has this internal thread where the Sparx rotor also have the same but wiht an other kind of thread. (Difficult to explain without pictures which not can be displayes here in the forum)
Do anyone know how to replace that rod? or can it be done? - maybee make a new one with thread outside?
Richard
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

My Pazon came with two bolts, one for the early BSC thread & one for the later UNF. Good kit. I think the AMC AA Unit bolt will have a 1/4in BSC thread as my other pre-1969 BSAs have. Cheers, Don.
1923richard

Post by 1923richard »

Hi Dick H
I asked Paul Goff, and he can't help. Says that there is no electronic ignition for that set up. His recomendation is; "you will have to find an original points plate & A/R unit. (Owners club)?
I can then supply coil(s) and a Rooster Booster ign system. This puts a very low current through the points & boosts the spark"
Luckely i have the plate and most of the parts. But have to find the right contact braker and condensor. ++++
Richard